About the Illinois Department on Aging
Koya Partners is partnering with the Office of Governor JB Pritzker in the search for the Director of the Illinois Department on Aging (“IDoA” or “the Department”).
The mission of the Illinois Department on Aging is to serve and advocate for older Illinoisans and their caregivers by administering quality and culturally appropriate programs that promote partnerships and encourage independence, dignity, and quality of life.
The IDoA has an annual budget of over $1.6 billion and provides both federal and state funding to a network of community-based providers throughout the State of Illinois that provide services and supports to older adults to help them remain in their homes and communities.
The Department also monitors the community-based providers that comprise the Aging Network to ensure high-quality and culturally appropriate services. The 13 Planning and Service Areas in Illinois are each managed and served by an Area Agency on Aging. The Department works in partnership with these agencies: 12 not-for-profit corporations and one unit of local government, the City of Chicago.
For more information on IDoA, please visit https://ilaging.illinois.gov/.
Top priorities for the next leader of IDoA include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a leadership voice and champion for older adults in Illinois.
- Supporting older adults’ ability to remain independent and in their own homes through the provision of quality home and community-based services with a strong focus on healthy aging and prevention.
- Providing oversight and direction to the full slate of IDoA programs, initiatives and services, under guidance from the Office of the Governor.
- Facilitating meetings and developing relationships with partners, key constituents (e.g., area agencies on aging, community groups, nonprofit organizations etc.) to advance departmental goals.
- Fostering collaboration with other state departments, particularly those in the health and human services portfolio.
- Overseeing a large portfolio of programs including but not limited to: the Community Care Program initiative which helps older adults who might otherwise need nursing home care to remain in their homes by providing in-home and community-based services.
- Directing the operations of the leadership team of the Department on Aging, acting as supervisor, mentor and coach to the staff.
- Partnering with and providing guidance to the 13 local Area Agencies on Aging across the State of Illinois. Including ensuring that adequate capacity for services and supports is developed in the Aging network to prepare for the projected growth and diversity in the Aging population.
- Oversee the agency’s budget, maximizing federal, state, local, and private resources to sustain and expand services and supports to older adults.
- Creating and supporting a culture that fosters empathy, understanding, and approachability within the Department and beyond.
- Promoting responsive management and improving efficiencies within the delivery of services through the use of data and enhanced IT systems for the Department.
- Leading robust stakeholder engagement, including developing relationships with members of the General Assembly and partnering with other state agencies and providers across the state to develop and manage joint programming.
The salary for this role is $173,250 annually. Please note: according to Illinois statute it is a requirement that the Director of the Department on Aging be 55 years of age or older.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Marissa Delgado and George Theotokatos of Koya Partners will be leading the search process. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here or email directly at ILDoA@koyapartners.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Illinois Department on Aging an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT-identified applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.