About The Illinois Department of Children & Family Services
Koya Partners is partnering with the Office of Governor JB Pritzker in the search for the Director of the Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (“DCFS” or “the Department”).
DCFS envisions a child welfare system that supports the safety and well-being of children and families through a streamlined system of care that results in positive outcomes for families and children of Illinois.
A critical function of state government, Illinois’ Department of Children & Family Services has a multi-faceted mission:
- Investigating allegations of child abuse and neglect, working to increase families’ capacity to safely care for children, and finding appropriate, permanent families for children who cannot safely return home;
- Administering the state’s foster care and adoption system, including education intervention and healthcare services;
- Overseeing licensing of all child welfare agencies and more than 14,000 day care centers, homes, group homes and day care agencies; and
- Supporting early intervention and child abuse prevention activities and working in partnerships with communities to fulfill this mission.
With an annual budget of $2.2 billion DCFS is the largest child welfare agency to earn accreditation from the Council on Accreditation for Children and Family Services. From helping more than 15,000 Illinois children find permanent, loving homes though adoption and reunifying over 22,000 children with their birth families over the last decade; to the licensing of nearly 11,000 day care facilities; answering of more than 220,000 calls to the Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline and provision of services to 60,000 families annually; the department and its more than 3,000 employees are dedicated to providing unrivaled professional service to ensure safe, loving homes and brighter futures for every child in Illinois.
The Department is steeped in a long tradition of service and innovation for the state’s most vulnerable children For more information on DCFS, please visit https://dcfs.illinois.gov/
Top priorities for the next leader of DCFS include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as a leadership voice, champion, and public face for DCFS, specifically in response to issues related to matters of child welfare and well-being.
- Providing oversight and direction to the full slate of DCFS programs, initiatives and services, under guidance from the Office of the Governor.
- Facilitating meetings and developing relationships with partners and key constituents (e.g., , community groups, nonprofit organizations, providers, legislators, etc.) to advance departmental goals; including leading and managing DCFS staffing and caseload needs.
- Developing DCFS’ capacity to engage at-risk children, youth, and families in evidence-based prevention services tailored to support children in staying safely at home with their parents.
- Representing DCFS by interacting with and interfacing with elected officials/legislators state-wide, in addition to facilitating and managing relationships with key constituents.
- Increasing reunification rates through better engagement of parents and family supports, including developing more placements for high-needs youth.
- Leading strategic planning for the Department with the purpose of increasing and maintaining the overall safety of children with their families.
- Championing major department wide initiatives (e.g. technology & training) ensuring implementation deliverables and timelines are met
- Leading robust stakeholder engagement, including developing relationships with members of the General Assembly and partnering with other state agencies and providers across the state to develop and manage joint programming.
The salary for this role is $210,000 annually.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Marissa Delgado and George Theotokatos of Koya Partners will be leading the search process. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here or email directly at ILDCFS@koyapartners.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
DCFS is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT-identified applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.