Unleash YOUR Potential With Us
As a next-generation public research institute, we are an inclusive community of thinkers, doers, creators, innovators, healers, and leaders striving to shape the future and solve the world’s most challenging problems. No matter what your role is, when you join Knight Nation, you’ll play an integral role in pushing us forward to become among the most impactful universities in the country. You’ll be met with opportunities to connect and collaborate with uniquely talented faculty, staff, and students across 13 colleges, and multiple campuses and regional locations. That means greater challenges to tackle, more meaningful opportunities to grow, and rewarding experiences that go beyond a paycheck. We’re seeking qualified, motivated individuals who will help UCF fulfill its mission of unleashing the potential of every individual, enriching the human experience through inclusion, discovery, and innovation; and propelling broad-based prosperity for the many communities we serve.
The Office of the General Counsel
The Office of the General Counsel is the legal office of the University of Central Florida and is responsible for the coordination and management of all legal issues and matters affecting the University. We provide legal services to UCF across a range of issues, manage UCF’s legal affairs, and are responsible for protecting UCF’s legal interests. Our mission is to support the University as a public research institution and provide practical, timely, and strategic advice and legal services to unleash the potential within every individual.
As a member of the Office of the General Counsel, the selected candidate will provide legal counsel and guidance to UCF and its affiliated entities, the UCF College of Medicine (COM), and the Academic Health Sciences Center (AHSC), on complex and high-risk matters related to health care, such as medical education, research, clinical practice, compliance, privacy, corporate governance, corporate transactions, risk management, contracts, and policy.
As a member of the senior leadership of COM and AHSC, the selected candidate will provide strategic legal support and advice to COM and AHSC in the planning and development of the clinical enterprise for COM and AHSC. This includes working with the appropriate teams to coordinate activities addressing strategic planning, partnership opportunities, funding, and philanthropy, community relationships and communications, political/regulatory issues; exploring alternative structures, funding, service delivery and payment models, and business arrangements; and developing community partnerships, collaborations, and initiatives to help advance clinical partnerships and health care resources.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance on complex and high-risk matters related to health care, such as medical education, research, clinical practice, compliance, privacy, corporate governance, corporate transactions, risk management, contracts, and policy; identify legal issues and risks, and develop legal strategies and solutions to protect the university’s interests and advance its objectives.
- Serve as part of the senior leadership of COM and AHSC to provide strategic legal support and advice and work with appropriate teams to advance the COM and AHSC missions.
- Advise on various issues of liability, such as questions pertaining to insurance and risk management; draft policies and guidelines for COM and AHSC; and manage outside counsel as needed.
- Supervise the legal and related work of other university attorneys, paralegals, and staff assigned to health care matters, including setting priorities, assigning work, and providing feedback.
- Manage regulatory infrastructure for COM and AHSC and for health care affiliated entities, in collaboration with UCF and COM Compliance.
- Provide legal and governance support for the College of Medicine Self-Insurance Program, the Central Florida Clinical Practice Organization, UCF Academic Health, Inc., and other UCF-related entities as needed.
- Review, revise, draft, and negotiate contracts and other complex legal documents related to health care, academic health, clinical training, and services; and prepare standard forms and templates where appropriate.
- Conduct legal research and stay up-to-date on legal developments in healthcare law.
- Provide training and education to COM and AHSC on legal issues and best practices related to health care.
- Perform related duties as required or appropriate to accomplish these responsibilities and functions; perform other duties as assigned.
Law degree (L.L.B. or J.D.) and 12+ years of experience as an attorney.
Must be a member of the Florida bar or become a member within twelve months of employment.
- Experience in a healthcare business setting and/or leading healthcare regulatory, liability, HIPAA, and compliance issues.
- Experience in both the private and public sectors.
- Healthcare experience in a non-profit or higher education environment is preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant legal experience in health care, academic health, or related fields.
- A combination of law firm and in-house experience is preferred.
- Ability to lead and manage in a matrixed environment.
- Depth in the legal aspects of complex healthcare transactions and joint venture arrangements.
- Strong understanding of medical educational standards and requirements; patient privacy law; patient rights; data integrity issues; research administration; and conflicts of interest.
Special Instructions to the Applicants:
The review of applications will begin December 18, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. Interested parties should feel free to reach out in confidence to Page Ettle from Grant Cooper/Diversified Search Group at Page@grantcooper.com.
Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Page Ettle at Page@grantcooper.com.
Are Benefits Important to You?
Working at UCF has its perks! In addition to helping drive change and having a positive impact by supporting our students, staff, and faculty, UCF offers:
- Benefits packages, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending, and Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time off, including annual and sick leave and paid holidays
- Retirement savings options
- Employee discounts, including tickets to many Orlando attractions
- Education assistance
- Flexible work environment
- And more…For more benefits information, go to the UCF Employee Benefits page and click here.
Who Are We?
Founded in 1963 to fuel the region’s talent pipeline and support the growing U.S. space program, UCF is built to make a better future for our students and society. It’s one of the reasons U.S. News & World Report ranks UCF among the nation’s top 20 most innovative colleges, while Forbes, Kiplinger, and The Princeton Review rank us a best-value university. UCF is one of 14 universities nationwide designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Research 1 university. With 13 colleges, including a fully accredited College of Medicine, UCF offers more than 220-degree programs between its main campus, downtown campus, hospitality campus, academic health sciences campus, and 11 UCF Connect centers located throughout the region. In addition, UCF extends its reach to communities in and beyond Central Florida by offering complete, online programs leading to bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, Ph.D.s., certificates, and more.
Unless explicitly stated on the job posting, it is UCF’s expectation that an employee of UCF will reside in Florida as of the date the employment begins.
Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM with flexibility as needed
Type of Appointment
Job Posting End Date
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
The University of Central Florida is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including Disabled/Vets. Click on UCF's Equal Opportunity Statement to view the President’s Statement.
The UCF affirmative action plans for qualified individuals with disabilities and protected Veterans are available for inspection in the Office of Institutional Equity, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., upon request.
As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
The University of Central Florida is proud to be a smoke-free campus and an E-Verify employer.