About Illinois Department Of Public Health
Koya Partners is partnering with the Office of Governor JB Pritzker in the search for the Director, Illinois Department of Public Health (“the Department” or “IDPH”).
A critical function of state government, Illinois’ Department of Public Health has a multi-faceted mission:
The Illinois Department of Public Health is an advocate for and partner with the people of Illinois to re-envision health policy and promote health equity, prevent and protect against disease and injury, and prepare for health emergencies.
IDPH, which is one of the state's oldest agencies, was first organized in 1877 with a staff of three and a two-year budget of $5,000. IDPH, now has an annual budget of $2.9 billion in state and federal funds, headquarters in Springfield and Chicago, seven regional offices located around the state, three laboratories, and 1,200 employees.
IDPH is organized into 12 offices, each of which addresses a distinct area of public health. Each office operates and supports numerous ongoing programs and is prepared to respond to extraordinary situations as they arise.
For more information on IDPH, please visit https://dph.illinois.gov/
Top priorities for the next leader of IDPH include, but are not limited to:
- Providing oversight and direction to the full slate of IDPH programs, initiatives and services, under guidance from the Office of the Governor.
- Serving as the public face of the Department of Public Health, specifically in response to issues related to matters of public health and well-being.
- Facilitating meetings with partners, key constituents (e.g., sister agencies, community groups, healthcare organizations etc.) to advance departmental goals. Fostering a strong sense of collaboration with other state departments, particularly those in the health and human services portfolio.
- Overseeing the Department DEI strategy specifically as it pertains to the social determinants of health – creating alignment and synergy with the Governor’s DEI strategy for the state.
- Providing continued guidance, leadership and direction to the Governor and all associated parties regarding COVID-19 data, policies, and procedures.
- Representing DPH by interacting with and interfacing with partners and elected officials/legislators state-wide, in addition to facilitating and managing relationships with key constituents.
- Overseeing a large portfolio of public health programs including but not limited to: Getting to Zero initiative to end HIV, programs supporting maternal health, statewide social determinants of health, family planning, and more.
- Directing the operations of the leadership team of the Department of Public Health, acting as supervisor, mentor and coach to the staff.
- Partnering with and providing guidance to the 92 local health departments across the State of Illinois.
- Creating and supporting a culture that fosters empathy, understanding, and approachability.
The salary for this role is $179,916 annually.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Marissa Delgado and George Theotokatos of Koya Partners will be leading the search process. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here or email directly at IDPH@koyapartners.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Illinois Department of Public Health is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT-identified applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.