Endeavors believes everyone has the capacity to grow, heal, change, and succeed. That’s why the organization passionately serves vulnerable people in times of crisis through comprehensive, effective, and innovative services that empower them to build better lives for themselves, their families, and their communities.
Endeavors is a faith-based organization based Christian principles that has been serving the community passionately for 55 years. Founded on the belief that God calls us to love and serve all people, Endeavors offers compassionate, holistic care for at-risk populations. While Christian faith is a main driver in the fulfillment of Endeavors’ mission, the shared values that bind Endeavors together lead the organization to welcome all who are in need of their services and those who want to serve, regardless of individual religious beliefs.
Endeavors’ Core Values are:
- Accountability and Integrity
- Care and Compassion
- Commitment to Making a Difference
- Community Involvement
Endeavors’ services, programs, and staff positively impacted the lives of 70,000 individuals across 26 states and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in 2022. As ever-changing needs develop across the communities they serve, Endeavors rises to the occasion providing help to those in need. Endeavors’ work revolves around delivering programs through the following core competencies: case management, behavioral health and wellness, rapid deployment, and sheltering. Endeavors provides a diverse set of services through the following 4 service lines:
- Community Based Services: These programs provide supportive housing, case management, professional counseling, life skills training, and employment opportunities for chronically homeless adults, individuals with disabilities, and children throughout Texas.
- Behavioral Health and Wellness: These programs offer services to help Veterans, First Responders, the homeless, and their families live successful lives — including free and low-cost counseling, suicide prevention training, mental health therapy, life skills courses, wellness, case management, and more.
- Emergency Services: With a proven track record in disaster relief and recovery, Endeavors steps in to help the community’s most vulnerable individuals during crises such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and other inclement weather, public health, and humanitarian crises. Endeavors provides emergency sheltering and staffing support as well as long term recovery support through their Disaster Case Management program which helps survivors rebuild their lives through individualized recovery plans.
- Migrant Services: Serving the migrant population since 2012, Endeavors’ Migrant Services team assists individuals seeking safety and protection by providing for comprehensive care and support to newly arriving children and families, including shelter, access to basic medical and mental health care, legal orientations, home study and post-release services, staffing, and holistic programming for unaccompanied migrant children and families.
Endeavors continues to find ways to serve those in need, working hard to expand programs and services. In 2021, they expanded their migrant services line of service to help more children and families in need and opened the Veterans Wellness Center in San Antonio to provide wrap-around wellness services to Veterans and their families. Looking ahead, Endeavors is expanding the Wellness Center model into El Paso to provide services to both Veterans and First Responders.
Endeavors currently consists of two 501(c)(3) organizations, with a physical presence in 23 locations across Texas, Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Puerto Rico, and providing services in 26 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. In 2022, Endeavors generated revenue of approximately $1.1 billion with a team of 2,200 employees.
At its core, Endeavors’ mission starts with their people. People are the heart and soul of their mission. Their core values guide their culture of putting people first, leading by example, and building a team that understands, accepts, and supports each other. “The Endeavors Way” is going above and beyond in the service of their clients. Endeavors approaches their mission to serve people in crisis from a place of generosity, gratitude, affirmation, and advocacy.
For more information on Endeavors, please visit their website.
In service of their mission, Endeavors seeks members for its 13-member Board of Directors (the “Board”) that will represent a diverse set of experiences, cultural skillsets, and technical expertise.
Endeavors Board Members support the work of the organization by providing mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Endeavors’ CEO, the Board serves as a valued advisor to the CEO and ambassadors in the community.
Endeavors seeks to expand its Board to better reflect the organization’s geographic reach and scope of services. The ideal new Board Members will be individuals who are well-respected in their communities with a passion and/or track record for serving vulnerable people in their communities and beyond.
Collectively, the Board Members come together to promote creativity and innovation and yield differing voices that play an important role in accomplishing the organization’s mission while increasing understanding of need of the communities served.
Board Members will be held to the following expectations:
- Ensuring Endeavors’ strategy reflects the organization’s core values, including fostering a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Taking an active role in the organization’s governance and oversight.
- Serving as a trusted advisor to and advocate for the CEO, collaborating and providing input as necessary.
- Approving Endeavors’ annual budget, audit reports, and other relevant business decisions.
- Assisting the nominating/governance committee in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments.
- Committing to a Board Term of three years with mandatory participation in at least 75% of annual meetings. Available for bi-monthly Board Meetings.
- Giving themselves the appropriate availability to read and review pertinent documents prior to Board meetings.
Ideal candidates will be grounded by the Christian faith and possess a profound understanding and dedication to the guiding principles that underlie the work of Endeavors. This involves cultivating purposeful partnerships with mission-driven individuals and organizations, conveying a message of grace while committing to serve all people in crisis.
Active participation as a Board Member entails attending six annual Board meetings, contributing to at least one Board of Directors committee, and actively supporting the CEO in the implementation of Endeavors’ mission and vision.
Ideal candidates will possess the following core qualities, characteristics, and skills, among others:
- Christian-based Belief: A belief that God calls us to love and serve all people.
- Passion for the Mission: A demonstrated commitment to serving communities in need, putting clients and front-line employees first and creating a culture of service, charity, and grace where all team members and clients feel seen, heard, valued, and respected.
- Advice and Counsel: A track record of asking insightful questions, participating in discussions, and offering advice in a constructive fashion.
- Emotionally Intelligent Leadership: Embodying wisdom, humility, and good judgment. They will be good listeners who bring high intellect and a wide-ranging curiosity to the work of a Board Member.
- External Advocacy: An interest in establishing and developing strategic external relationships that will benefit Endeavors; serving as an advocate and a connector to encourage the development of new opportunities, programs, services, and sources of financial support for Endeavors.
Board Meeting Information
Most Board meetings will be in San Antonio, with occasional meetings in other locations. Travel expenses to Board meetings will be covered by Endeavors. In-person attendance to Board meetings is preferred; however, there will be an option to participate virtually. Board meetings typically last 90 minutes, and committee meetings are usually one hour. Most committees meet as needed, but no less frequently than quarterly.
The Board retreat occurs annually in January.
2024 Schedule for Endeavors Board Meetings
Dinner 6:30pm-8:30pm CST (Mondays)
Board Meetings 8:30am-10:30am CST (Tuesdays)
Marissa Delgado, Sonya Olds Som, and George Theotokatos of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest, please submit your materials by filling out our Talent Profile or email the team directly at EndeavorsBoard@koyapartners.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Endeavors and Endeavors Unlimited, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable federal laws. Endeavors and Endeavors Unlimited, Inc. also complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location its employees are working. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to: hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Endeavors and Endeavors Unlimited, Inc. are "Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers."