Buffalo Seminary (SEM) invites nominations and applications for a passionate, nimble, and thoughtful educational leader to serve as Head of School effective July 1, 2024.
WHO WE ARE
Buffalo Seminary is an independent day and boarding school for college-bound girls. Founded in 1851, SEM is among the oldest schools for girls in the United States. As Buffalo’s only nonsectarian girls’ school, SEM is forward-thinking, allowing girls to come as they are, navigate their own learning journeys, and reflect on their place in the world and how they can make an impact.
SEM is a leader in girls’ education, distinguished by more than 170 years of excellence and innovation. Today, SEM inspires young women from around the globe to join with those from Western New York to create a community dedicated to preparing them to emerge from their high school experience as leaders, proud to shape society rather than be controlled or defined by it. Girls will learn to live and lead with energy, confidence, honor, and courage.
At SEM, the expectations for students, faculty, and staff are high. The Honor Code is built on a foundation of respect, establishing trust throughout the community. Classes are rigorous, yet their small size allows the faculty to help each student reach her potential. Classes are flexible by design, creating individual academic programming that not only ensures exceptional college preparation, but also paves the way for students to be engaged scholars and citizens and lifelong learners. SEM girls are encouraged to discover and pursue their individual interests in their classrooms, throughout Western New York, and beyond.
ABOUT THE ROLE AND ITS OPPORTUNITIES
Buffalo Seminary’s Head of School leads the entire school community in the expression and accomplishment of the School’s mission. The Head serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Buffalo Seminary, reporting to the Board of Trustees. The Head works with the Board to develop policies that guide the School, and with the School’s administrative team to implement those policies. This is a full-time, exempt position, requiring significant time, attention, travel, and energy. The Head keeps the Board fully informed on all matters pertaining to the School. The Head shall be an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Board. The successful candidate will demonstrate a deep commitment to all-girls independent school education. The Head of School leads a team that includes:
- Assistant Head of School
- Director of Enrollment
- Director of Development
- Director of Finance
- Dean of Teaching and Learning
- Dean of Students
- Director of Equity and Inclusion
- Director of Technology
SEM’s Head of School will work collaboratively with a passionate and dedicated community. Building upon a strong foundation rooted in a commitment to the development of young women, the new Head of School will work in partnership with a strong and dedicated leadership team, as well as an extraordinary, passionate, and committed faculty.
Buffalo Seminary is committed to equity in its pay practices and compensation. This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package. Salary will take into account years of experience, specialty skills, and other factors; the salary range is $175,000 - $195,000.
QUALIFICATIONS AND QUALITIES
An ideal candidate for the Head of School will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to build upon the successes of SEM to create and execute a new and exciting vision;
- Exceptional senior level management experience at an independent day or boarding school;
- Alignment with SEM’s mission and vision;
- Excellent listening, verbal/ written communication, and public speaking skills;
- Ability to build community with a focus on healthy and positive relationships;
- A proven ability to hire and retain strong and diverse faculty and staff;
- Ability to lead, cultivate, and encourage the School’s senior administrative team, faculty, and staff;
- An appreciation for and understanding of a boarding school environment;
- Dedication to collaboration, transparency, and accountability as a leader;
- Ability to foster robust engagement and partnerships with the wider SEM community, including current and prospective families and a distinguished and highly engaged alumnae of the School;
- Possess strong fiscal management skills; and,
- Ability to collaborate and communicate positively and effectively with the Board of Trustees.
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS
Buffalo Seminary School’s Search Committee is currently accepting applications. For best consideration, please send all nominations and applications (a resumé and cover letter) via email to SEMHoS@storbecksearch.com:
For more information, please visit Buffalo Seminary at https://www.buffaloseminary.org/.
Buffalo Seminary is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
In order to be eligible to work at Buffalo Seminary, all employees are required to receive a completed course of one of the FDA approved COVID-19 vaccinations (Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) or receive an exemption for a diagnosed medical or deeply held religious belief (which must go through an approval process). Employees not in compliance with this policy will not be eligible to work at Buffalo Seminary.