VCU Health is on the forefront of health care, providing patients with the most progressive treatments and medical technology available. VCU Health encompasses five schools, an academic medical center, a Level I trauma center, one of only two NCI-designated cancer centers in Virginia, the region’s only full-service children’s hospital, and more than 800 physicians in 200 specialties and subspecialties. VCU Health has a community health center, dedicated research teams, facilities, and valued partners in every field to offer top-notch care to the communities it serves.
Virginia Commonwealth University is seeking a Cardiac Surgeon. The mission of the VCU Division of Cardiothoracic surgery is to both provide the Mid-Atlantic’s most advanced, patient-oriented, cost-effective and safe cardiothoracic services, as well as to create the finest training environment for the region’s future cardiothoracic specialists. The current environment increasingly mandates leading both regional and national quality initiatives in cardiothoracic surgery. The division is committed to enhance diversity among its faculty staff and students.
This position will fulfill several urgent needs of this division. Duties will include clinical responsibilities in all areas of cardiac surgery with special interest in heart transplantation and mechanical circulatory support. This person will be early to mid-career and charged with the responsibility of supporting the multidisciplinary heart transplant program and the mechanical circulatory practice. This person will also play a key role in the cardiac division with significant opportunity for leadership.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Teaching: the faculty member will have teaching responsibilities in cardiac surgery for surgeons, medical specialties, medical students, and other students.
- Research: clinical Research will be encouraged.
- Service: the Cardiac Surgeon will serve on departmental, College, and/or University committees as necessary, as well as in a professional capacity in their field, e.g., reviewer, conference organizer, etc.
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Cardiac Surgery; must have training and experience with transplant and aorta.
- Commitment to resident education and teaching, clinical research and innovation.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
- Prefer research Interests in Cardiovascular disorders that can lead to intramural and extramural funding.
- Prefer additional training in endovascular management of aortic and structural heart disorders.