UPMC Health System is actively recruiting for a CNO and Vice President of Patient Care Services for UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital located in Pittsburgh, PA. UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital is the primary provider of behavioral health care for western Pennsylvania and is the flagship of UPMC Western Behavioral Health. It is regarded as a national leader in providing best practice, research-based care and a broad array of innovative psychiatric and addiction services for children, adolescents, adults, and seniors at every stage of their recovery.
As an academic partner of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital and the Department of Psychiatry consistently rank first nationally in psychiatric research funding from the National Institutes of Health with over $92M in annual NIH research grants. The Psychiatry residency program is ranked #7 nationally for reputation.
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital reports 251 staffed psychiatric beds; over 6,500 annual admissions; over 14,000 emergency assessments; and over 360,000 outpatient visits. With a 50% market share in a 6-county region, UPMC Western Behavioral Health offers a full continuum of behavioral health services to communities across Western Pennsylvania and includes 490 staffed inpatient psychiatry beds across 9 UPMC hospitals; 10 ambulatory locations; 4 crisis service locations; 4 mental health, intellectual disability, and drug and alcohol facilities; over 12,700 inpatient admissions; and over 200 psychiatrists and psychologists.
A $24 billion health care provider and insurer and the largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates 92,000 employees, 40 hospitals, 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, and a 4.1- million-member Insurance Services Division, the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania.
The CNO provides executive nursing management, direction, and leadership for UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital. This position is responsible for driving, supporting, and modeling a caring service-oriented professional culture focused on employee engagement, quality, patient safety, service excellence, fiscal responsibility, and the overall patient experience. The CNO serves as a member of the executive leadership team at the facility and system levels, builds and supports effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external constituents and stakeholders and ensures optimal operating effectiveness and strategic positioning.
The CNO reports to the President, Western Psychiatric Hospital and Western Behavioral Health, with matrixed reporting to the Chief Nurse Executive of UPMC Health System.
- BSN and Master’s degree in Nursing or related healthcare field required; PhD or DNP in Nursing preferred.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in senior nursing leadership roles in a behavioral health setting; depth of experience in managing diverse patient care functions in a hospital or matrixed health system of relevant size, scale and complexity; experience in an academic setting preferred.
- Proven background of success in a shared leadership model structure; ability to communicate nursing’s shared vision for success.
- Ability to successfully navigate a highly complex and matrixed organizational structure.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including staff development, mentoring, and coaching.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Confidence, executive presence, and a demonstrated ability to collaborate and partner with physicians, executives, and CNOs of other UPMC hospitals. A demonstrated track record of collaboration and partnership with other organization, physician, and system leaders.
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse, or ability to obtain Pennsylvania licensure.
For referrals or to submit a resume, please contact UPMCWesternPsychiatric@divsearch.com. All expressions of interest are confidential.