About The Trevor Project
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
LGBTQ youth suicide is a global public health crisis, and we estimate that more than 40 million LGBTQ youth seriously consider suicide each year globally. This position is a part of a multi-year plan to offer our crisis services across various global communities. LGBTQ youth in crisis deserve affirmation and acceptance regardless of where they live, and we are committed to doing everything in our power to help end this crisis.
For more information on The Trevor Project, please visit their website.
The Senior Director of International Growth is a new role that will champion the growth and scale of The Trevor Project’s global creative and communications in partnership with other country and global team members to create sustainable impact and messaging. They will be integral in the strategy and roll out of bringing the organization’s crisis services to LGBTQ youth around the world through aligned messaging and presentation of Trevor’s work. They will also manage and empower a team of Country Growth Directors who will be responsible for all marketing, communications, and creative of The Trevor Project in their respective countries with a primary focus being connecting the brand to the young LGBTQ people on the ground and showing them the value of our life-saving direct services.
The Trevor Project is currently working to launch digital crisis services for LGBTQ youth ages 13-24 in Mexico in 2022, followed by rollout in countries in other regions in subsequent years. Each country team will have their own Country Growth Director and the Director of International Growth will have the opportunity to build the vision for their team and then hire, manage, and train each Country Growth Director in close collaboration with other Trevor leadership members at country and global levels.
Who You Are
- Innovative. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved. You’re always thinking about trends in social media and tech and how we can leverage these tools.
- Experienced. You’ve led the localization of plans and strategies for new market growth, ideally in an international context and with a focus on LGBTQ young people.
- Results-focused. You set clear timelines and drive projects to completion. You know that delivering on goals and metrics is the key to having a signiﬁcant impact and growing our programs. And, you’re at home in a fast-paced work environment.
- A digital marketing maestro. You understand digital platforms, how they differ, and how they can be utilized most effectively to reach your strategic goals. Proﬁciency working on social platforms (e.g., Facebook and Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube) is required. Familiarity with Mailchimp is a plus.
- People leader. You know how to hire the best people for the job, and how to develop individuals professionally, and how to lead empathetically.
- Organized and efficient. You know how to manage complex projects at once. You can communicate clearly and concisely. The moment you see a problem, you quickly come up with solutions and then implement them.
- Culturally Sensitive. You understand what it means to work in a country context different from the U.S. with sensitivity, humility, and diplomacy.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Builder. You’re excited about the opportunity to take the status quo as just a starting point, then implement best practices and continually innovate.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What You’ll Do
- Hire and manage all new Country Growth Directors with the vision that there will likely be multiple new hires in that role within the first 1-2 years of expansion
- In close partnership with the Chief Growth Officer, develop a global strategy for growth that is aligned with Trevor’s core values and priorities and that responds to the unique needs of local LGBTQ youth within our focus countries
- Lead country-level market research activities in partnership with Trevor’s international team to determine how best to communicate with LGBTQ youth in cultural contexts outside the U.S. paradigm
- Achieve ambitious targets in the number of LGBTQ youth served through continuous iteration and learning from key findings in market research and campaign activities
- Work with Country Directors of Growth and their teams to create a localized marketing and communications plan for each country and empower teams to execute on it
- Provide guidance on all owned-channel marketing strategies and tactics in local markets (channels including e-mail, social media (paid and organic), newsletters, and internal communications
- Create and execute prioritization strategies based on existing organizational bandwidth and feedback from your direct reports
- Assist in the determination of marketing KPIs, and oversee strategy implementation, project management, tracking, measurement, and debriefs
Compensation & Benefits
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet reimbursement and a reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Michelle Bonoan and Christy Farrell of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role, please submit your materials here, or email Michelle and Christy directly at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.