Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides works to accelerate the pace of social change by bringing together mission-aligned funders, changemakers and policies to solve society’s toughest problems.
Tides believes that to achieve shared prosperity and social justice, they must take collaborative and bold approaches to the work. This includes using a variety of vehicles to amplify and scale positive social impact including: philanthropic giving and grantmaking, impact investing, fiscal sponsorship, collaborative workspaces, collective initiatives and advocacy services for policy change. Tides resources and expertise enable its partners to hit the ground running and drive change faster than they can on their own.
In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our current hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
For more information on Tides, please visit tides.org.
In this newly created position, you will build and lead the Talent Management Center of Excellence for Tides. In this high impact role you will own the roadmap and serve as the “product management leader” for the People team with respect to the design, development, and delivery of systematic People processes, programs, and talent development initiatives.
The Senior Director, Talent is a senior leadership role on our People team and will be a key strategic leader and advisor in creating an organization that attracts the best people, develops them in their careers and abilities and maximizes their talent and contributions. You will think creatively, bring fresh viewpoints to the discussion and identify opportunities to improve and align programmatic systems to the Tides’ strategic goal of operational excellence. You will be expected to stay current with developments and successful practices in human resources and technology and be comfortable operating at both a strategic and hands-on level. This position will also support partners serving on the front lines to dismantle systemic barriers that impede social justice.
You will ensure that best practices around justice, equity, diversity and inclusion stay rooted in all talent acquisition, employee experience, and development processes and will implement continual improvements to those strategies. You will build upon and execute on Tides’ recruiting and hiring processes to ensure a best-in-class talent acquisition operation that ensures a positive applicant experience. You will also oversee strong human resources programs across the employee lifecycle from onboarding through ongoing learning and development to exit and ensure that policies and employee actions are consistent with applicable laws and regulations. Bringing a positive and collaborative approach to problem-solving, you will model Tides values and apply a growth lens to the Tides employee experience strategy.
The Senior Director, Talent will report to the Chief People Officer. You will manage a team of 8 and you will have the ability to add the necessary resources to build and scale a high performing team that can successfully deliver on our strategic plan and impact goal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and execute a comprehensive People strategy to achieve Tides’ business objectives while ensuring integration of strategy and solutions within organizational functions and in partnership with People Centers of Excellence and Shared Services.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and key thought partner to executives on all People matters including organizational development, change management, talent development & management, People operations, JEDI, retention, workforce planning, compensation rewards, and employee relations.
- Develop and lead the Business Partner Team to drive scalable support models for executives, managers, and employees.
- Coach, mentor and manage a team and anticipate future staffing needs to scale and deliver the necessary impact for internal and external partners.
- Stay abreast of current and changing human resources regulations and best practices across the industry.
- Measure and analyze the effectiveness of people strategy initiatives and identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of a recruiting strategy, including recruitment protocols, evaluation methods, and training.
- Partner with leaders on the People team and across the Tides Network to forecast staffing needs and set and hit DEI benchmarks in hiring.
- Anticipate and understand where bottlenecks in the recruiting process occur and develop solutions to eliminate them.
- Lead your team to build out a learning & development function that is consistent with Tides’ goal to strengthen and shift power, center equity in our work, and cultivate agency for staff.
- Align performance management process with strategic plan, impact goal and organizational values; imbed key performance indicators and competencies into performance evaluation process to encourage and recognize growth and measurable outcomes.
- Collaborate with your team to evaluate and improve onboarding and offboarding practices tailored to individual needs.
- Build capacity of leaders across the organization to partner with talent management team members to deliver on organizational goals, ensure managers understand the connection between organizational success and talent development, and are equipped with the resources and skills to operationalize that connection for the effective development and management of their teams.
- Collaborate with the team to design inclusive and equitable talent programs, provide development opportunities, and align staff development to organizational strategies.
- Partner with the People team to influence Tides leaders and other key stakeholders to ensure that they adopt equitable, inclusive, and remote-first practices and policies, as well as influence other key decisions affecting employee experience.
- Design and implement total rewards strategies to ensure that the organization stays competitive in the market, retains and motivates top talent and provides fair and equitable compensation for staff.
- Oversee employee listening strategy including surveys, focus groups, and other mechanisms and helps drive learning based on data.
- Plan and implement special projects as needed, managing timelines and coordination with stakeholders and associated communication within a highly collaborative environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Passion for the Tides mission of shifting and strengthening power of groups who face systemic barriers to resources and opportunities.
- Strategic leadership and demonstrated experience aligning talent strategies to organizational goals.
- Demonstrated track record of leading talent acquisition, talent development, business partnering and employee retention functions.
- Detail oriented and rigorous project management skills to build and implement new systems and processes.
- Committed to engaging, growing and developing a diverse team through a culture of feedback, accountability, and recognition.
- Welcomes a fast pace of work and changing cadences; flexible and adaptable.
- Strong customer-service and servant leadership approach to both internal and external clients.
- Devotion to growing one’s own cultural competence and willing to actively engage in the Tides commitment to integrate justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in all facets of its work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders and the ability to comfortably handle difficult conversations.
- Diplomatic and respectful approach to problem solving; ability to consistently interact with others in a professional and courteous manner, maintain a positive attitude and good working relationships, and work effectively in a team setting.
- Skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships and ability to partner with senior leaders and other managers to evaluate and resolve employee-related issues. Strong ability to connect, build impactful cross functional relationships, and foster trust.
- High business acumen, emotional intelligence and communication.
- The aptitude to be a strong collaborator and influencer and can engage at all levels within the organization to drive great outcomes for our people and the organization.
- A passion to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment that is always looking to raise the bar on how we deliver People programs.
Education & Experience
- 10+ years of direct applicable business and HR experience; 5+ years partnering with executives and 5+ years experience managing teams.
- Proven track record of building from scratch, leading and innovating the People function to deliver exceptional results.
- Experience in building, growing and scaling teams in a remote-first environment.
- A strategic mindset and the ability to develop scalable solutions to support organizational goals.
- Demonstrated track record of building and cultivating culture and measuring outcomes through a justice, equity, diversity and inclusion lens.
- Leadership experience within the People function at a high-growth stage company, establishing core KPIs and effectively measuring performance across key goals and outcomes.
- The successful candidate will possess superior change management skills and experience combined with a service expansion/innovation mindset and partner service delivery excellence to ensure organizational needs are met and new processes and policies are successfully and consistently adopted across all functions.
At Tides, we value the unique background, experience and perspective each Tides team member brings to our work each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match to the requirements outlined above, we hope you’ll still consider applying.
Compensation & Benefits
Tides is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. The starting salary for this role ranges from $148,594-$222,870 based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team is committed to sharing more details regarding compensation based on the candidate’s experience and location during the interview process. Tides offers a generous benefits package including: comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Timeline to Hire
The application deadline is October 21, 2022 and applications received by that date will be given priority but we will accept applications until the position is filled. Zoom interviews with the Koya team will take place through late October. Zoom interviews with the Tides hiring committee will take place through November and we anticipate extending an offer by mid December.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Karen Yetman Rea are leading the search. To apply for the position please submit a resume and cover letter here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. For applicants with disabilities, reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.