Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides works to accelerate the pace of social change by bringing together mission-aligned funders, changemakers and policies to solve society’s toughest problems.
Tides believes that to achieve shared prosperity and social justice, they must take collaborative and bold approaches to the work. This includes using a variety of vehicles to amplify and scale positive social impact including: philanthropic giving and grantmaking, impact investing, fiscal sponsorship, collaborative workspaces, collective initiatives and advocacy services for policy change. Tides resources and expertise enable its partners to hit the ground running and drive change faster than they can on their own.
In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our current hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
For more information on Tides, please visit tides.org.
The Director, People Operations is a new and critical position created to strengthen knowledge and add capacity to our growing team. You will lead the way in creating processes and programs that are repeatable, agile, and scalable to support partners serving on the front lines to dismantle systemic barriers that impede social justice. The Director, People Operations will help to identify and lead opportunities to improve and align operational and programmatic systems to support continuous improvement and operationalize Tides strategic impact goals. The Director, People Operations will be responsible for the HR systems and tools supporting the work across the Tides network, including data, reporting, compliance, compliance training and the annual EEO report.
This is an exciting role for a solutions-oriented professional to serve as a resourceful thought partner to staff across the Tides network and to drive a culture of collaboration. The Director, People Operations is expected to stay current with developments and successful practices in human resources and technology and be comfortable operating at both a strategic and hands-on level. Bringing a positive and collaborative approach to problem-solving, the Director, People Operations will drive impact and foster a culture that is grounded in Justice, Equity, Inclusion & Diversity (JEDI).
The Director, People Operations will report to the Chief People Officer and be responsible for the review, management and continuous improvement of the HRIS, HR Specialists, Compensation & Benefits, Knowledge Management and People Analytics functions. Currently a team of 5, you will the ability to add the necessary resources to build and scale a high performing team that addresses the needs of our internal and external partners.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the People team and the Chief People Officer to align People Operations to strategic impact goals focused on operational excellence and building capacity.
- Ensure the HRIS system, reporting systems, data and all the technical tools that underpin the work of the People team are current, efficient, and effectively serve internal and external partners.
- Anticipate and understand where bottlenecks occur and develop solutions to eliminate them.
- Manage all ongoing training around HR tools, systems, and processes.
- Oversee training on compliance issues such as sexual harassment and other topics.
- Oversee technology evaluation, conduct needs assessments and manage the selection, negotiation, and contract process for HR technology solutions.
- Plan and manage high-profile projects, managing timelines and coordination with stakeholders and associated communication within a highly collaborative environment.
- With the team, oversee strong human resources programs and benefits across the employee lifecycle from onboarding to exit and ensure that policies and management and employee actions are consistent with applicable laws and regulations.
- Contribute to the success of the Human Resources department by leading and participating in cross-organizational projects and committees as needed.
- Coach, mentor and manage a team and anticipate future staffing needs to scale and meet the needs of internal and external partners.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Passion for the Tides mission and its core values of Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment.
- An experienced systems builder and leader of change and transformation.
- Exposure to and depth of knowledge in all areas of Human Resources, including recruitment, talent development, performance management and compensation.
- Innovative thought leadership, eager to explore and build new systems, processes, and approaches to organizational challenges.
- Detail oriented and rigorous project management skills to build and implement new systems and processes.
- Committed to engaging, growing and developing a diverse team through a culture of feedback, accountability, and recognition.
- Welcomes a fast pace of work and changing cadences; flexible and adaptable.
- Strong customer-service and servant leadership approach to both internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated experience successfully planning and managing high profile projects and associated communication within a highly collaborative environment.
- Devotion to growing one’s own cultural competence and willing to actively engage in the Tides commitment to integrate justice and equity in all facets of its work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders.
- Diplomatic and respectful approach to problem solving; ability to consistently interact with others in a professional and courteous manner, maintain a positive attitude and good working relationships, and work effectively in a team setting.
- Skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships and ability to partner with senior leaders and other managers to evaluate and resolve employee-related issues.
- Strong ability to connect, build bridges, and foster trust.
Education & Experience
- 10+ years experience in HR roles.
- 8+ years expertise in leading People systems, technology and operations functions.
- 5+ years people management experience in HR Operations.
- Thrives in a fast-paced working environment, comfortable with ambiguity.
- The successful candidate will possess superior change management skills and experience combined with a service expansion/innovation mindset and partner service delivery excellence to ensure organizational needs are met and new processes and policies are successfully and consistently adopted across all functions.
At Tides, we value the unique background, experience and perspective each Tides team member brings to our work each and every day. We believe everyone deserves a fair shot at success and appreciate the experiences each person brings beyond the traditional job requirements. If you’re a close but not exact match to the requirements outlined above, we hope you’ll still consider applying.
Compensation & Benefits
Tides offers a competitive annual salary for this role commensurate with qualifications and experience. Tides also offers a generous benefits package including comprehensive healthcare, paid time off, life and disability insurances, and confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion and energy they look for in team members.
Timeline to Hire
The application deadline is September 9, 2022 and applications received by that date will be given priority but we will accept applications until the position is filled. Zoom interviews with the Koya team will take place mid-August through mid-September. Zoom interviews with the Tides hiring committee will take place from late-September through mid-October and we anticipate extending an offer by the end of October.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Karen Yetman Rea are leading the search. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here.
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. For applicants with disabilities, reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.