About Swing Left
Swing Left is building a lasting culture of grassroots participation to win elections for the Left by making it as easy as possible for anyone to have maximum impact on the elections that determine the balance of power in our country.
Since launching in 2017, Swing Left volunteers have raised more than $40 million for more than 300 candidates and civic organizations, and coordinated more than 40 million combined phone calls, door knocks, and letters sent to voters via its affiliate Vote Forward and their partners.
For more information on Swing Left, please visit its website https://swingleft.org/
Swing Left seeks a visionary Executive Director to lead the organization and have overall operational responsibility for Swing Left staff, programs, growth, and sustainability. The Executive Director will bring transparency and collaborative leadership to all areas of the organization, and provide oversight of the organization’s operations, culture, values, talent, and financial performance.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a progressive leader with a demonstrated track record of commitment to progressive values and a history of leadership informed by the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion to ensure continued growth and impact of Swing Left and its affiliates, including Vote Forward.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities include:
Vision and Strategy
- Build on past success by inspiring the creation and implementation of new strategies that advance grassroots participation in winning elections for the Left in the context of a challenging political climate;
- Work with the Board and staff to plan, develop, and implement initiatives that further Swing Left’s mission; make strategic decisions to prioritize high-impact programming while balancing the capacity of staff and organization;
- Exhibit an understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion matters when addressing highly evolving and complex situations internally and externally;
- Provide strong partnership, collaboration, and leadership to the Swing Left Board of Directors, ensuring open lines of communication and high levels of engagement.
Fundraising and Public Leadership
- Anticipate funding needs and inspire, cultivate, steward, and solicit a dedicated group of major and foundation donors to the organization to ensure financial support that builds long-term stability;
- Represent Swing Left to the media and public, clearly articulating the organization’s mission, vision, and programs;
- Communicate with a broad array of stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, Board members, donors, and partners, with empathy, sensitivity, and respect; exhibit a high level of cultural competence in communication;
- Lead staff in coalition building strategies and maintain key relationships with partner organizations, including positioning the organization to be a value-add within the progressive political ecosystem.
Staff Leadership and Organizational Management
- Cultivate a supportive team-oriented environment that puts people first and ensures personal growth and development;
- Ensure that the organization reaches its objectives and makes progress toward strategic goals; identify challenges to timely progress, and pinpoint and implement solutions with foresight;
- Work with staff members to build the infrastructure of the organization ensuring systems, processes, and work plans across the organization are set up for maximum impact and long-term sustainability; establish goals for their respective departments and ensure that staff have the resources needed to accomplish those goals;
- Motivate and maintain a cohesive staff, ensuring that there is strong internal communication, coordination, and accountability.
- Directly manages Swing Left’s senior leadership team, including five department heads and the Executive Director of Swing Left’s affiliate, Vote Forward.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Dedicated to and energized by the mission, vision, and values of Swing Left with a strong understanding of the national political landscape and context;
- Experience translating strategy and vision into actionable goals; ability to lead with influence and inspiration, and build collaboration and buy-in toward a common vision; a history of centering people in their work;
- Demonstrated track record in fundraising, ideally with knowledge of and existing relationships with relevant and aligned funders; capable of establishing, deepening, and leveraging relationships with donors and other key stakeholders; experience as a public speaker and storyteller
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment, and lead change;
- Track record of successful innovation and a strong appreciation for the potential of technology to revolutionize organizing and political change; ability to cultivate an innovative team, and have a demonstrated ability to identify, realize, and leverage innovative technology ideas;
- Possess exceptional people management and communication skills; good listener that is both empathetic and pragmatic; able to work remotely and build a healthy team culture within a virtual environment;
- Commitment to leading with empathy, approachability, and authenticity; understanding of the importance of building and maintaining a strong staff; willingness to enthusiastically partner with senior leaders to develop the strengths and leadership of staff;
- Strong diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging understanding and commitments, as well as experience successfully leading and integrating diversity into organizational policies, practices, management, and culture;
- Have a strong learning orientation i.e. can learn from mistakes, have a desire to continuously improve and grow, and have the capacity to foster this with staff across the organization.
Compensation & Benefits
The Executive Director position is a full-time position. The salary range for the role is $170,000 – $180,000 annually. In addition to health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits, Swing Left’s benefits package includes a professional development fund, a remote work fund, and a technology stipend for all employees.
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. If you require reasonable accommodation during your application process, please let the team at Koya know.
Swing Left is an equal opportunity employer and seeks applications from all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. At this time it is unable to sponsor visas. Swing Left believes that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society – including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ people. As Swing Left seeks to build both a political system and an organization that represents and uplifts these voices, it strongly encourages applications from people with these identities and members of other marginalized communities.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com