Waterway seeks a dynamic and high energy human resources professional to join its team as Senior Leader, Talent and Culture (SLTC), a new position in the organization reflecting the company’s continued growth. Reporting to the COO, the SLTC will serve as a key member of the leadership team and will be responsible for strategic planning, development, and management of programs for sourcing, recruiting, and training of Waterway’s number one asset, its people. The position will emphasize primary responsibilities to include the following: talent acquisition and onboarding, career path development, and team member experience, satisfaction and engagement.
Reporting directly to Waterway’s Chief Operating Officer, the principal duties and responsibilities of the SLTC will include:
- Talent Strategy and Planning. Regular review of company and market needs, both short-term and long-term and coordinated with 1, 5, and 10-year corporate strategic plans. Close collaboration with strategy and department leadership teams to determine specific needs while adjusting processes and budgets to meet operational needs for all areas of the business.
- Compensation and Benefits Strategy. Management of ongoing compensation programs for hourly and salaried positions, including the annual review process, to ensure alignment of compensation plans to performance targets in partnership with the management team. Keen awareness of current trends in labor markets. Strategic positioning of talent and resources based on market compensation norms. Coordination with Director of Compliance to ensure alignment with state and federal wage requirements. Development of compensation budgets, regular review, and recommended adjustment based on market conditions and changes in cost of living.
- Leadership of Waterway Recruiting Program. Oversight of recruiting function for managers and hourly associates, as well as associated recruiting costs and development and ownership of budgets. Development of innovative strategies to effectively attract talent in competitive job markets, particularly online and social media recruiting strategies. Source development and vendor relationship management along with college recruiting programs. Recruiting and selection process oversight for manager program. Leadership of internal referral program and hourly recruiting strategies. Guidance and support of store level recruiting and referral activities.
- Leadership of Waterway Employee Training Function. Oversight of training program development and implementation for management, line associates, and key positions. New hire onboarding, orientation and training processes. Career development path mapping for all hourly associates and management team members. Creation and implementation of training content required by different department initiatives (Operations, Marketing, IT, Accounting, Compliance, Retail, etc.). Oversight of the employee performance appraisal process at all levels.
- Team Member Experience, Satisfaction, and Engagement / Internal Communication. Leadership of strategic initiatives and processes to drive internal employee satisfaction results and employee retention. Oversight of employee engagement measurement (Net Promoter Score Surveys). Development and management of regular communication with employees through social media, employee newsletters, communication of training updates and opportunities. Support of various employee appreciation initiatives. Oversight of the hourly employee tuition reimbursement program and other employee benefits.
- An undergraduate degree is required, ideally in HR management, education, psychology, organizational development, applied behavioral sciences, business administration or a related field.
- A minimum of 10+ years of experience of combined function leadership in recruiting, people development or education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of learning styles, group dynamics, interactive learning methods and leadership coaching.
- Outstanding interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization in one-on-one development, team development, and classroom settings.
- Able to articulate the Waterway vision about its people and able to attract potential new team members with a compelling call to action.
- Strong work ethic with proven leadership, direction setting and supervisory skills, excellent mentoring abilities, and a history of building relationships at all levels in the organization to create an empowered and accountable team.
- Presents professionally, displaying an ongoing focus on building and maintaining a highly engaged workforce at all levels.
- Ability to travel to Waterway’s various markets. Must be willing and able to travel 10-20% of the time.