About PRIME Coalition
Prime Coalition is a 501(c)(3) public charity that partners with mission-aligned investors to support extraordinary companies that combat climate change, have a high likelihood of achieving commercial success, and would otherwise have a difficult time raising adequate and/or investment capital focused on climate.
We believe that catalytic capital* holds a critical key to unlocking commercial products and services that can help avoid catastrophic climate change. Since Prime’s founding in 2014, we’ve facilitated charitable investments with over 150 philanthropic partners, most of whom had never used a recoverable grant or program-related investment before and some of whom had never designed an intervention for climate change mitigation. Our goal is to encourage as many mission-aligned individuals and organizations as possible to join our tribe – 1% of annual grant making from U.S. private foundations or from donor advised funds alone would eclipse traditional venture capital for climate-relevant companies globally.
Prime’s long-term success will be measured by our portfolio companies’ impact on reducing global greenhouse gas emissions. In the short-term, our success is defined by the number of first-time catalytic investors and first-time climate investors we mobilize. We run three core programs to accomplish our goals:
- Building and supporting Prime’s catalytic investments – partnering with individuals, foundations, family offices, and corporate giving programs to place capital into breakthrough climate ventures.
- Climate impact measurement and management – developing tools and resources to make climate impact assessment easier to use and access.
- Sharing lessons learned about philanthropic investing – growing the field of impact investing by sharing lessons learned and best practices.
For more information on PRIME Coalition, please visit website.
*As defined by MacArthur Foundation, catalytic capital is “investment capital that is patient, risk-tolerant, concessionary, and flexible in ways that differ from conventional investment”.
The Director of Finance & Operations will elevate organizational infrastructure during the next era of growth at Prime Coalition, a high impact, cutting-edge non-profit organization focused on mitigating climate change through catalytic investment. This is an opportunity to pioneer the position, serve on the senior leadership team, and help build a precedent-setting organization that stands to unleash the power of financial markets for social benefit. The Director will contribute to strategic planning, manage the growing operations team, provide financial oversight across many investment programs, and drive team leadership across the organization.
Prime embraces the differences between people of varied races, ethnicities, genders, ages, religions, and sexual orientations. We also acknowledge the value that different life experiences bring to our organization as a workplace, and to our ability to understand and advance our mission. Prime is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all applicants who share our values to apply.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Serve as a visible and active member of Prime’s senior leadership team.
- Develop a strong, strategic partnership with the Executive Director.
- Support the Executive Director in managing Board operations and preparing for meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Contribute to strategic planning related to Prime’s long-term financial goals and the role of catalytic investments.
- Support the Executive Director in handling financial and legal matters that pertain to internal and external investment activities.
- Ensure that the organization maintains robust financial management systems.
- Ensure timely and accurate internal analysis of budgets, cash management data, multi-year projections, financial reports, and financial trends.
- Manage internal staff and outsourced vendors pertaining to financial systems, including payroll and benefits.
- Partner closely with the Director of Partnerships to plan and implement fundraising processes.
- Staff the Board’s audit committee and its finance, compensation and risk committee.
- Regularly review the organization’s financial position, including during annual audit procedures.
- Work closely with Prime’s bookkeeper on external audit processes and lead Prime’s team-wide responses to audit-related recommendations.
- Support grant and catalytic capital reporting.
- Oversee the bookkeeping for financial transactions across all Prime’s investment programs, including investments into and any returns resulting from catalytic investments.
Talent, Culture, and HR Leadership
- Promote a culture of accountability, strong integrity, high performance, meaningful collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Create policies and practices around professional development that includes organizing performance reviews, staff feedback cycles, and performance improvement when necessary.
- Lead operations team in a manner that promotes professional development while maintaining team focus on organizational priorities and best practices.
- Encourage leadership development through the mentoring of your own direct reports as well as mentorship programming team-wide, assigning accountabilities, setting objectives, establishing priorities, and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Construct annual personnel plan for board approval, refreshing internal staffing chart regularly to align team around responsibilities.
- Support all stages of talent acquisition including recruiting, retention, onboarding, and offboarding; accommodate office space/virtual work needs.
- Build capacity around diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) priorities, wellness and work/life balance goals and structures; ensure that external strategies reflect internal values.
- Carry out annual compensation benchmarking and drive competitive benefits planning and management.
- Oversee the operational aspects of all governing and advisory boards.
- Oversee all internal policies, including approval of outside vendors.
- Maintain team calendars to promote DEI activities and reflection, including events, holidays, cultural appreciation, etc.
- Lead selection, setup, and training around an appropriate organization-wide system for project management.
- Establish and manage shared practices around internal meeting prep, agenda iteration, and meeting moderation.
- Write core policies and procedures around finances, expensing, bookkeeping, budgeting and other controls.
In addition, strong candidates will offer the following:
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated fluency in financial statements and accounting systems and procedures, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); demonstrated understanding of non-profit accounting related to 501c3 organizations, including complex fund accounting, compliance and reporting.
- Familiarity with state, federal and international laws and regulations concerning tax-exempt organizations.
- Proven experience as a strong team manager and builder.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree or CPA preferred.
- Experience drafting and developing standard operating procedures preferred.
- Experience in investment and asset management preferred.
- Experience in managing banking and accounting relationships; and coordinating annual audit processes.
- Experience managing HR platforms and a dispersed team preferred.
Core Skills & Characteristics
- Intrinsic, driving motivation to address climate change.
- Passion for building new organizations and thinking big.
- Adaptable to change as Prime develops as an organization.
- High degree of emotional intelligence.
- Motivated to address the urgency of climate change.
- Commitment to excellence and ability to coach others to high standards.
- Able to work independently and navigate ambiguity.
- Well-organized, detail oriented, methodical, with strong time management skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Alignment with Prime’s values of tenacity, additionality, care, humility.
- Alignment with Prime’s emphasis on diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Compensation & Benefits
$180k/year, commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Sarah Avendaño of Koya Partners has been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Prime Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.