About Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens, and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. PP Global (PPG) delivers the organization’s advocacy outreach to more than seven countries outside the U.S. Together they form the National Ofﬁce for Planned Parenthood. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
REACH AND IMPACT
For generations, Planned Parenthood has been one of the nation’s leading and most trusted providers of high quality, affordable health care for millions of people across the U.S. Since our inception, we have always advocated for your right to choose, if and when to become a parent, and to make your own decision about what happens to your body. Today we’re proud to have fifteen million supporters who actively join us in that cause. We are also the nation’s largest provider of sex education nationwide and a leading provider of education in twelve countries across Africa and Latin America.
We believe in the fundamental right of people throughout the world to manage their reproductive health, and your income, marital status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, or residence shouldn’t ever be a factor in your access to care. Equity, inclusion, and diversity in all aspects of the organization are essential to deliver on the promise of Care No Matter What.
Planned Parenthood comprises 49 independent affiliate member organizations, operating under the Planned Parenthood brand, with a presence in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) serves as the national office of Planned Parenthood and provides support for Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country. Planned Parenthood affiliates operate more than 600 health centers that provide care for over two million people annually.
Planned Parenthood is always working to expand access to care – from pioneering research on self-injectable birth control to offering broader services for transgender patients, as well as making telehealth services, including medical abortion, available to patients across the country. Technology will continue to play a critical role in how we connect our patients to our services and information. Through our enhanced website and numerous digital properties including several apps, we engage over 200,000 visitors daily who come to us for accurate, and reliable sexual and reproductive health information.
Part of our brand is that we’ve consistently faced threats to our mission and disruption to delivering the care and information our patients rely on. Patients in states with hostile political climates face higher, and harder barriers to reproductive health care, particularly safe and legal abortion. Lawmakers have demonstrated over and over, the lengths they are willing to go, to undermine our ability to serve patients with high quality affordable healthcare.
Yet Planned Parenthood is stronger and bolder than ever. We made a commitment a few years ago in our strategic outlook, to step up our efforts to excite and engage young people particularly in the black, brown, and trans communities. We added millions of new supporters, more than 700,000 new donors and 250,000 people have become new volunteers. Record numbers of young people are joining the movement on their campuses and online, and 90,000 people have joined the Defenders program, pledging to organize their communities and take action to protect access to care at Planned Parenthood.
The national office of Planned Parenthood is comprised of several entities:
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. (PPFA), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, provides support for the health care operations of the 49 affiliates and engages in education and research on reproductive and sexual health issues. Planned Parenthood affiliates are member organizations of PPFA.
- Planned Parenthood Global, Inc. (PPG), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, is the organization through which PPFA’s international advocacy and grant making programs are operated. Planned Parenthood works with local partners in Africa and Latin America to increase access to health care and education. They nurture local leadership, foster sustainable health and education programs, and fight for legal, social, and political improvements in communities around the world. Globally, Planned Parenthood supports local partners in 12 focus countries, reaching over 1.5 million individuals with reproductive health information and services.
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Inc. (the Action Fund), a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization, which is independent and non-partisan, works to advance access to sexual health care and defend reproductive rights through advocacy and electoral programs. Strengthening the commitment to protect women’s health, educate young people, and expand access to reproductive healthcare, the Action Fund provides public education campaigns, grassroots organizing, and legislative advocacy.
- Planned Parenthood Federal Political Action Committee (the PAC) is an isolated fund that makes contributions to candidates for election to federal offices.
- Planned Parenthood Votes (PP Votes) is a separate fund that engages in electoral activities that are independent from political parties and campaigns. PP Votes is a “super PAC.”
- Scale for Change, LLC (Scale) is a taxable subsidiary of the Action Fund that coordinates and provides staffing for large-scale advocacy, organizing, and canvassing efforts on behalf of the Planned Parenthood entities.
Our purpose is to provide comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services in settings which preserve and protect the essential privacy and rights of each individual; and to advocate for public policies which guarantee these rights and ensure access to such services; and to provide educational programs which enhance understanding of individual and societal implications of human sexuality; to promote research and the advancement of technology in reproductive health care and encourage understanding of their inherent bioethical, behavioral, and social implications.
Providing Expert Health Care
Planned Parenthood health centers provide millions of people in the U.S. with contraception, testing, and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STls), lifesaving cancer screenings, and abortion services. One in five women in the U.S. has chosen Planned Parenthood for health care at least once in her life. For many people, Planned Parenthood is their only source of care – making our health centers an irreplaceable component of this country’s public health care system. And, as experts in reproductive health care, our health centers often provide family planning services that other safety-net providers simply do not offer.
Informing and Educating the Community
Planned Parenthood is a respected leader in reproductive and sexual health education in the U.S., Africa, and Latin America. The organization provides young people with honest, fact-based health and relationship information – in classrooms, community centers, and online – to help protect their health and reduce our nation’s alarmingly high rates of unintended teen pregnancies and STls. Planned Parenthood affiliates provide educational programs and outreach to 1.5 million young people and adults every year.
A Leader in the Reproductive Health and Rights Movement
On campuses and online, in statehouses and courts, in local communities, and in the media, Planned Parenthood is an outspoken, and passionate advocate for policies that enable all people to access comprehensive reproductive and sexual health care, education, and information. Planned Parenthood fights for common sense policies that respect every individual’s right to make empowered, and informed decisions about health, sex, and family planning.
The National Ofﬁce seeks a highly experienced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic individual to serve as Chief Financial Ofﬁcer for the organization. This position reports to the Chief Operating Ofﬁcer (COO) in the Operations Division of PPFA. The Finance and Accounting (F&A) Department strategically manages the ﬁnance and accounting functions of the organization providing conﬁdence to all stakeholders on the ﬁscal and ﬁduciary responsibility of PPFA and its subsidiaries with a commitment to customer service, sound controls, compliance monitoring, and timely, accurate, and complete reporting, analysis and decision support to further the Federation’s mission.
Purpose: The Chief Financial Ofﬁcer (CFO) plays a critical role in developing and implementing the overall ﬁnancial strategy ensuring the stewardship of the ﬁnancial health for the organization which has an annual operating budget of approximately $400 million, a staff of over 600, and is located in New York City, Washington, D.C., San Francisco and several countries outside the United States. They lead and manage the organization’s Finance and Accounting functions for the National Ofﬁce. With the VP for Finance and VP for Accounting and Treasury, the CFO oversees the functions across the ﬁnance disciplines of budgeting, ﬁnancial management, procurement, ﬁnancial analysis, grants management, travel, treasury, general ledger accounting, statutory and ﬁnancial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and ﬁnancial systems.
Delivery: The CFO provides ﬁnancial advice and counsel to the organization’s leadership, manages the day-to-day operation of the department and staffs the Audit (PPFA), Finance (PPFA and PPAF), and Accreditation and Quality (AQC) committees and Investment Subcommittee (PPFA) of the Boards of Directors, and the Revenue Committee of the Federation. In addition, the CFO is a member ex officio of the PP Global and full member of the Scale Boards of Directors. The ideal candidate possesses strong ﬁnance and leadership skills and demonstrates proﬁciency at managing organizational change in a complex, multi-tiered and global organization.
The CFO manages a department of over 30 staff and partners with the COO to ensure that leadership and management across the organization utilizes strong ﬁnancial management practices. The CFO:
- Continues to advance the quality, timeliness, strategic and tactical value of ﬁnancial information framed in a way that provides context and analytical support to decision makers, including the executive team and members of the Board of Directors.
- Fosters a service-oriented culture within the central ﬁnance function.
- Recruits, manages, develops and inspires a high-quality team to deliver a superior level of performance and productivity within a climate of rapid growth and change.
- Interprets the mission and strategic priorities of the organization to the ﬁnance staff and evolves the ﬁnancial systems and infrastructure in order to support expansion and execution of the strategic processes such as procurement and budget development.
- Implements best-in-class management strategies and techniques that improve the quality, reduce the cost of services, and, thereby, the efﬁciency with which they are delivered.
- Builds relationships across divisions and collaborates effectively in the execution of multi-divisional projects.
- Leads the ﬁnance team in development of metrics and analysis tools to evaluation departmental outcomes and goals.
- In conjunction with the COO and executive team, assesses organizational performance against the annual budget as well as the strategic plan. Evolves the current tools and systems to highlight key ﬁnancial and operational data and makes actionable strategic ﬁnancial recommendations.
- Leads the organization in multi-year ﬁnancial planning in alignment with the strategic plan, including forecasting, budgeting and analysis, capital requirements, cash ﬂow needs, and investment management approaches.
- Leverages sophisticated ﬁnancial resource planning tools and models to guide the executive team and the Board of Directors in long-term ﬁnancial planning.
- Aligns aspirations with resources to accurately model current and future initiatives under different scenarios and communicate long- and short-term implications for various options.
- Oversees all treasury activities including banking, investment, and liquidity management. Works with the Investment Subcommittee to optimize investment strategy for growing and managing the quasi-endowment and permanent endowment as well as the planned giving portfolios.
- Ensures compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and audit requirements. Maintains internal control safeguards and oversees audit activities.
- Keeps abreast of current market and industry issues, regulations, and policies, and develops and maintains relationships with other CFOs across the Federation and within the nonproﬁt sector.
- Ten-plus years of progressively senior ﬁnance, budget, operations and strategic planning experience in a complex, highly regarded and forward-thinking organization with signiﬁcant scale. Prior CFO experience in a large not-for-profit a plus.
- Experience building strong teams, organizations, and cultures, as well as collaborative relationships both internal and external to the organization.
- Possesses highly developed and effective interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written. Able to communicate sensitively and compellingly with individuals as well as large groups across diverse cultures. Has a collaborative and ﬂexible style with a strong service mentality. Utilizes a creative approach to problem-solving and troubleshooting. Strong strategic, conceptual thinker who can drive quickly to a clear and concise synthesis of even the most complex issues and concepts.
- Serve as a key strategic and business partner to the chief executive, board and organizational afﬁliates.
- Stewardship over the preparation of timely and accurate ﬁnancial reports, statutory (FEC, Census Bureau, etc.) and tax ﬁlings to the strictest legal and accounting standards.
- Enhancement and management of accounting systems and controls for budgets.
- Knowledge of and proﬁciency with a broad range of strategic, ﬁnancial and operations principles, analytics and practices including ﬁnancial planning and analysis, control, treasury, tax, and audit.
- Candidates may come from either for-proﬁt or not-for-proﬁt organizations, but they would need to understand a host of highly complex ﬁnancial issues related to 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and 527 organizations.
- Strong educational credentials. An advanced degree in business administration or related ﬁeld is preferred.
- Leadership: In an environment that relies on close collaboration among its leadership and its Board, serves as both a thought partner and leader among leadership colleagues by looking ahead and contributing insightful guidance in terms of long-term ﬁnancial planning to move the organization forward; by anticipating and identifying trends, optimizing ﬁnancial opportunities; and, by providing quality counsel and anticipating resource needs.
- Decision Support: Builds the capability, contributions and inﬂuence of the ﬁnance team by proactively aligning ﬁnancial systems and practices in support of the institutional mission and strategic plan. Builds collaborative working relationships throughout the organization and inspires conﬁdence from the program areas, Board and other internal partners by providing excellent analytical support; instilling a service orientation into the ﬁnance team; identifying and implementing system and process improvements; meeting the needs of internal clients on or ahead of schedule; creating a culture of transparency, information sharing, accountability and efﬁciency; and, communicating and setting clear priorities and performance expectations.
- Commitment: Ability to abide by the mission and demonstrate dedication to an organization that provides family planning and reproductive health care services, education and information to millions of women, men, and young people each year. Thrives within a dynamic, rapidly growing organization that is ﬁrmly in the political and public eye.
- Work with the leadership of the individual programs to ensure that all ﬁnancial professionals are working in support of the organization’s broader mission and implementation of the strategic plan.
Managing Director, Co-Leader Financial Officer Practice
DENIELLE PEMBERTON-HEARD, ESQ.
Managing Director and General Counsel
ANGEL SANTOS BURRES