About One Hope United
Founded in 1895, One Hope United (OHU) is a multistate nonprofit that helps children and families build the skills to live life without limits. We serve over 10,000 children and families each year through education centers, child and family services, counseling, and residential programs. With our evidence-based and trauma-informed practices, we empower children and families to see and create a future where, regardless of their past, they can reach their full potential.
Early Learning & Child Development
OHU lays the foundation for children’s success through:
- Home visiting
- Childcare and early education
- School-age programs
Community-Based Family Services
OHU supports children and families through life’s challenges with:
- Youth and family services
- Behavioral health
- Foster care and adoption
Residential Care & Day Treatment
OHU provides a space for youth to thrive, including:
- Residential care
- Therapeutic day school
- Transitional living
Since its legacy of serving children and families began, One Hope United has certainly faced challenges. Yet, in recent years, the organization has found itself needing to be nimbler and more adaptable than ever before, as it has served communities amid a pandemic. Under the visionary leadership of President & Chief Executive Officer Dr. Charles A. Montorio-Archer, OHU has continued to meet these challenges, growing and expanding services in Illinois and Florida, for example, as the needs in the communities the organization serves have also increased.
In order to support OHU’s sustained excellence and ongoing responsiveness to community needs, it seeks an experienced professional for the role of Chief Advancement Officer to lead the continued development and execution of an integrated communications and resource development strategy to build OHU’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Chief Advancement Officer is responsible for oversight of Board, constituent, and stakeholder communications and identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of annual, major, and planned gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The position oversees an advancement department comprising approximately nine staff, including the Director of Marketing & Communications, Senior Manager of Development, Senior Manager of Community Support, and Manager of Planned Giving. The Chief Advancement Officer is a member of the OHU leadership cabinet.
Required Qualifications and Experience
While One Hope United will consider a broad range of backgrounds, the ideal candidate will have the following qualifications/experience:
- Commitment to mission of One Hope United. Ability to communicate this mission and impact to the broader community with passion and authenticity.
- Minimum 10 years of directly related nonprofit experience, inclusive of individual giving, institutional giving, annual giving, planned giving, stewardship, board relations, communications, and special events, as well as leadership in a major fundraising campaign; experience with a complex organization spanning multiple regions preferred.
- Strong record of providing strategic and operational leadership, including creating and managing a budget, while ensuring efficient processes and resource allocation. Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage, coach, motivate, and ensure ongoing professional development of staff; foster a transparent and collegial work environment; and increase effectiveness consistent with best-in-class industry and philanthropic standards.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of how to build diversity, equity, and inclusion in advancement functions; culturally competent with respect to issues such as racial, cultural, religious, sexual, and gender identity. Skilled at delivering solutions in evolving, multi-cultural environments.
- Experience in developing the case for support and strategic fundraising plans, and then executing plans to achieve goals and objectives. Demonstrated experience cultivating, training, and working collaboratively with senior-level colleagues, board members, and other high-level volunteer leaders on successful development-related activities.
- Successful track record of personally cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts from individual and institutional donors at the level of six to seven-figures or greater.
- Demonstrated ability in planning and executing integrated, strategic marketing and communications in support of achieving brand awareness, fundraising, event, programmatic, or other organizational goals. Experience identifying and coaching project spokespeople. A functional understanding of how to effectively leverage various communication mediums and distribution channels for optimal exposure and impact.
- The ability to extract and analyze data to make effective, efficient decisions about strategy and process. Competence in leveraging data to instill confidence in donors, board members, and senior colleagues. Working knowledge of modern data management practices and innovations, as well as experience with Microsoft Office.
- A forward thinker with a track record of utilizing new methods of constituent engagement and connectivity, who will be driven by innovation in developing advancement best practices in the current and post-COVID-19 world.
- Strong project and budget management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record with OHU-required levels of coverage for auto insurance.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and to travel regionally and nationally, as required, consistent with public health guidelines.
One Hope United does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. One Hope United is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace. All applicants with a conditional offer of employment must submit to pre-employment drug testing and receive a negative test result. Final hiring decisions are contingent on the candidate submitting to a background check satisfactory to One Hope United.
One Hope United has retained the Diversified Search Group for this engagement. Managing Director Gerard F. Cattie, Jr. is leading the search.