About The Movement Cooperative
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a cooperative of independent organizations working together to advance the progressive movement through common data and technical infrastructure and addressing the structural challenges that movement organizing and advocacy organizations face in their work. TMC leverages the collective purchasing power of its membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support members in their work. TMC staff also lend their expertise and capacity to member organizations in order to catalyze initiatives, for example running members’ digital programs.
TMC is a member cooperative – its Board of Directors is elected by and made up of its member organizations. Currently, TMC’s membership stands at more than 70 national member organizations with 500 state-based organizations covered under its licenses.
For more information on The Movement Cooperative please visit https://movementcooperative.org.
The Movement Cooperative seeks a CFO who excels at developing, managing, and scaling non-profit financial systems and staff in complex environments. The CFO reports directly to the CEO, and is responsible for supporting them in presenting to the board, as well as presenting financial information to staff and TMC members when needed.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced leader with proven business and financial acumen in the non-profit space, the ability to lead and develop finance staff, and experience working with senior leaders and across an organization to meet finance needs.
- Manage and mentor the staff of the finance department (1-3 staff and contractors);
- Develop, own, and monitor progress on finance department Objectives and Key Results (OKRs);
- Develop, supervise, and optimize finance department systems and processes including AR, AP, and budget;
- Manage the relationship with TMC’s accounting firm;
- Supervise the development of all financial reports, including monthly budget/variance reports, reporting for grants, audits, and taxes, as well as monthly close reports and accompanying materials for reports to TMC’s Board of Directors;
- Represent the finance department within TMC’s Leadership space and participate in meetings and collaboration across departments to develop processes to incrementally improve organization-wide Objectives and Key Results (OKRs);
- Work with senior management to develop a process and tools for the staff to participate in creating the annual budget.
The ideal candidate will possess most if not all of the following characteristics and qualities:
- Demonstrated experience with non-profit finance including billing, accounting, taxes and financial reporting for non-profit grants
- Demonstrated experience managing and developing financial staff including developing OKRs for goal setting; comfort working and managing in a remote office environment;
- Excellent writer and communicator with a strong analytical mindset and ability to develop and manage complex projects and systems;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility;
- Experience with a membership or customer service organization and working with a ticketing system;
- Experience with TMC’s financial software (Bill.com, Intacct, Cube, etc.) strongly preferred but not required;
- Advanced business degree, MBA, or CPA preferred but not required.
The Movement Cooperative: Values Statement
TMC is committed to and aspires to center diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion throughout all of its work. TMC believes that its work fundamentally depends on its ability to create a culture that’s equitable and inclusive for people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, locations, national origins, and other characteristics not listed here. TMC believes that the broader progressive movement and world should also operate in these ways and achieving a world where that is the case is at the core of the mission of the organization and the missions of many of the member organizations TMC supports. TMC’s commitment to these principles are grounded in the idea that they can never achieve those missions if they don’t also reflect these values internally.
TMC also recognizes that while it lists these here as commitments, it also imperfectly embodies them in practice. In many ways, TMC continues to perpetuate the same structures, behaviors, and orientations that stifle full equity, empowerment, inclusivity, and belonging. TMC acknowledges that perfection is unattainable and anticipates falling short. However, TMC is deeply committed, and views with the utmost urgency, the ongoing work, reflection, and intentionality that will move it closer to these aspirations both immediately and in the long term. TMC actively encourages and invites applicants who share these commitments, are willing to proactively share the responsibility of co-creating an organizational culture that increasingly embodies these values and principles, and are enthusiastic about joining a team where there is mutual accountability to not deviating from these commitments.
Compensation & Benefits
While a young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, unlimited paid vacation, paid sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid family leave, and health and wellness benefits. The salary for this position is $160,000 – $180,000 commensurate with experience.
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. If you require reasonable accommodation during your application process, please let the team at Koya know.
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer. TMC recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.