About Housing Trust Silicon Valley
Housing Trust is leading the effort to create a strong affordable housing market in the greater Bay Area as one of the region’s highest-volume nonprofit housing lenders. Serving people experiencing homelessness to renters to first-time homebuyers, we assist a wide range of residents with programs across the entire spectrum of housing issues. Since 2000, Housing Trust has invested $446 million – creating over 24,000 affordable housing opportunities serving over 44,000 of our neighbors. Housing Trust has led the way in engaging local corporations and foundations in investing hundreds of millions of dollars to work with us to bring more solutions to the market all while experiencing several years of high growth in our lending business.
Housing Trust aspires to be a diverse and inclusive organization. We are committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting diversity in our workforce and leadership to reflect the communities we serve. We believe differences in lived-experiences, cultural backgrounds, and diversity of thought are our strongest assets and contribute to our success.
For more information on HTSV, please visit website.
The Director of Multifamily Lending (MFL) is responsible for managing multifamily loan production and implementing lending initiatives for Housing Trust. This role is responsible for successfully leading Housing Trust’s business development strategies for MFL to address market needs and achieve business goals. It is critical in ensuring that Housing Trust efficiently and effectively meets the financing needs of our customers and maximizes business opportunities for all multifamily loan products and programs. This position reports to the chief lending officer (CLO) and will work collaboratively with the chief credit officer (CCO). The director of MFL will represent Housing Trust both with internal and external clients and will strengthen our presence and footprint. A successful candidate will have a history of demonstrated success in lending and be an experienced professional with a strategic mindset, strong analytical, problem solving, leadership, communication, and management skills.
The Director’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Business Development and Loan Origination
- Responsible for components of Housing Trust’s multifamily loan origination and capital deployment to meet Housing Trust goals and objectives.
- Identify lending opportunities and respond to all loan inquiries in Housing Trust’s target market.
- Identify, manage, and grow strategic relationships with key local partners (developers, consultants, public sector representatives, etc.) that build Housing Trust’s brand and market presence, and help facilitate those partnerships and relationships.
- Maintain strong working relationships with borrowers, peer CDFIs, as well as affordable housing professionals and practitioners.
- Work closely with the CLO and MFL team to employ multifamily lending innovation, including new strategies for expanding lending relationships with BIPOC developers, engaging new developer relationships, and maintaining existing borrower relationships.
- Collaborate with CLO on key priorities for the MFL program such as developing new financing products, new lending strategies and research and development (R&D)
- Identify process and system improvements as they relate to all aspects of the MFL function.
- Represent Housing Trust in a variety of industry groups and forums, including coordination and participation in conferences, delivering presentations and trainings to staff and external audiences.
- Lead and coordinate marketing and communication efforts for business development purposes
- Structure, underwrite and close complex transactions as needed.
Management of Lending Team and Lending Programs
- Manage and mentor MFL origination staff through business development, loan structuring, underwriting, and closing process, including participation in site visits and relationship calls.
- Engage in talent acquisition, development, and retention of staff, and cultivate a mission-focused environment of creativity, innovation, agility, and work/life balance.
- Provide leadership to the MFL team through communication, performance management, coaching, staff development and recognition.
- Assign MFL staff to serve as resident experts on funding sources used by Housing Trust to ensure full deployment and compliance with programs.
- Ensure the MFL team meets all data integrity requirements for Housing Trust’s systems.
- Effectively collaborate with Loan Administration Manager on deal closings; negotiation of deal terms and legal documents; identify and resolving structuring issues; and engaging with external legal counsel to ensure excellence in execution on deal structuring, and all loan closings.
- Serve as MFL lead with capital partners and facilitate loan pipeline meetings.
- Develop and manage funding availability and underwriting process.
- Responsible for management of Supportive Housing Fund loan committee.
- Maintain strong, positive, effective, and productive relationships with key partners.
- Collaborate closely with asset management, loan administration, Development and Communications, and other departments to meet departmental and organizational needs.
- Effectively collaborate with Housing Trust’s senior leadership team on internal and external matters concerning MFL staff and programs.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, a successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree in business, finance, or related field preferred.
- 7+ years of community development or affordable housing lending experience, including 5+ years of supervisory experience.
- Outstanding people management and team leadership skills, with experience recruiting, nurturing, and motivating talent.
- Demonstrated success in developing/training, managing and mentoring staff
- Expert knowledge of loan structuring and high level of competency in negotiation and sales presentation skills.
- Highly organized, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments, meet tight deadlines, and mitigate risk.
- Strong business development, analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills, with working knowledge of spreadsheet programs.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local community development programs, particularly program that finance affordable housing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, file management software (Box), and CRM software (Salesforce)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to coordinate and communicate effectively across all levels of an organization.
- Highly skilled at collaborating across various levels of diversity including race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, actual or perceived gender identity, age, or sexual orientation.
- Embrace a work culture that celebrates creativity and innovation.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing demands while continually delivering high performance.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time and work flexible hours as required
Compensation & Benefits
Housing Trust offers a competitive compensation package, including a bonus plan and benefits. This is an exempt, full-time position. Annual salary range for this position is $140,000 to $170,000.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Housing Trust Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity employer to all regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, actual or perceived gender identity, age, or sexual orientation. Housing Trust is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and our goal is to have a workforce (at all job levels) that is representative of the communities we serve.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.