Houston Methodist Hospital is a 1,200-bed hospital in the Texas Medical Center and is ranked No. 19 among 238 hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for gynecology. U.S. News & World Report has also named Houston Methodist Hospital the No. 1 hospital in Texas every year since the award began and one of the nation’s best as a nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Houston Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center includes 12 general obstetrician and gynecologists, two urogynecologists and two gynecologic oncologists. Houston Methodist Hospital adheres to an open staff policy and there are several private physicians who also practice at the hospital. The Chair will be responsible for leadership and oversight of 43 Obstetrics & Gynecology employed physicians system-wide at six hospitals including the Houston Methodist Hospital. The Houston Methodist Childbirth Center in the Texas Medical Center staffs approximately 1,400 deliveries per year. In 2020, there were approximately 13,600 deliveries within the Houston Methodist hospital system.
The Department offers the complete spectrum of general and specialty gynecological care. Our physicians provide expert care in gynecologic oncology, female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery, general obstetrics and gynecology, infertility and minimally invasive gynecologic surgery. Our physician-scientists participate in clinical trials in pelvic floor disorders and gynecologic oncology. The faculty in the Department are actively involved in medical student, resident and fellow teaching. The Division includes ACGME-accredited Obstetrics and Gynecology residency (5 per year) and Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship programs.
Houston Methodist is seeking a well-respected academic physician with the knowledge, vision, and leadership abilities to serve as Chair for the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This role leads the academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology across the Houston Methodist system enterprise, with responsibility for advancement of clinical, education, and research missions. Education (undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education) and research programs are conducted as components of the Houston Methodist Academic Institute. The Chair serves as Chief of the Obstetrics and Gynecology service at Houston Methodist Hospital, with responsibility for development of obstetric and gynecologic clinical programs and operations, quality initiatives, and medical staff chief duties including oversight of clinical performance and professional matters of all OB/GYN providers. The Chair also will have significant involvement in the growth of clinical programs within the system’s community hospitals situated throughout the Houston metropolitan area.
Qualified candidates will be eligible for primary faculty appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College and the Houston Methodist Academic Institute. Secondary faculty appointments at Texas A&M College of Medicine and other medical school affiliates also are possible.
- MD or DO (or foreign equivalent), active board certification in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Eligibility for an unrestricted medical license in TX
- Outstanding clinical skills and a national reputation in the field
- Leadership and administrative skills capable of expanding and propelling the Department to national excellence in patient care, research and education
- Proven record of substantive scholarly achievements and trainee development
- Strong record of independent extramural research funding as well as peer-reviewed publications
- Experience as an academic leader
- Effective supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and coaching expertise; ability to further develop and advance a superior clinical service
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences, in group settings or one-on-one