About Geisinger Marworth
Geisinger Marworth, a national leader in alcohol & chemical dependency rehabilitation, has been named to Newsweek’s list of America’s Best Addiction Treatment Centers as the #1 treatment facility in Pennsylvania. Located on a 27-acre former governor’s estate, Marworth offers inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment to help people overcome addiction and provides a safe, secure, and supportive environment to break the cycle of addiction, as well as maintain life-long sobriety.
As Marworth is preparing for its 40th anniversary this fall, we look back upon the years of success and progression. From 1931 to 1981, the site of Marworth was the family estate for three generations of the Scranton family. The estate name derived from the names of Margery and Worthington Scranton, the parents of former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton. After a generous gift purchase between Geisinger and the Scranton family, Geisinger Marworth officially opened in 1982 and was accredited by the Joint Commission and Licensed by the PA Department of Health. Over the years, Marworth enhanced and expanded their services and facilities by creating a new counseling wing and dietary wing and increasing their number of inpatient beds to over 100. They received accreditation by the American Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), becoming one of the first accredited programs in the country. In 2020, Geisinger Marworth merged with the Division of Addiction Medicine, within the broader umbrella of the Psychiatry and Behavioral Health Department at Geisinger. This transition helps Geisinger further treat addiction as a chronic relapsing brain disease.
A national leader in alcohol & chemical dependency rehabilitation
Anyone can become addicted – young or old, man or woman, rich or poor. Race, religion, politics, social standing, education or occupation make no difference. At Geisinger Marworth, we recognize that chemical dependency is a primary and progressive illness. Marworth offers a safe, secure and supportive environment to break the cycle of addiction, as well as maintain life-long sobriety. This provides the proper setting in which to begin the healing process, away from the complications, pressure and temptations of prior circumstances.
At Marworth, we recognize the need to the whole person, not only the symptoms of addiction. To this end, we incorporate multiple types of treatment and therapy to meet the needs of each of our patients. Our skilled staff offers evidenced-based practices with recovery support groups, so patients receive a full spectrum of interventions to improve the chances of overcoming habitual behaviors and forging positive steps toward optimal health. We also include families in our treatment program as addiction negatively affects families. At Marworth, family therapy conducted by an experienced family therapist is part of each person’s substance abuse rehabilitation program.
Evidence-based treatments used at Marworth are interventions founded on sound, scientific evidence. The evidence has shown, in a systematic way, that these therapies are successful. The different types of evidence-based treatment modalities incorporated into the care offered at Marworth include:
- Recreation therapy
- Expressive therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Medication assisted treatment
- Family program
- Dual-diagnosis services
- Trauma & PTSD support groups
- Relationship issues groups
- Nutrition therapy
Marworth’s personalized treatment
Marworth counselors develop an extensive, individualized treatment plan for every patient. It defines the course or treatment, duration of treatment, therapy modality, therapy environment, and specialized interventions. Progress on each intervention is documented, reviewed with our treatment team and course is adjusted as needed. Discharge criteria are defined for each patient at admission. The patient reviews this treatment plan daily with his or her peers and primary counselor to fully understand the course of treatment and progress on each. As discharge approaches, the patient fully understands the reason for his or her treatment completion and the recommendations for next level of care. Although chronic, the disease of addiction is treatable and can be held in continuous remission. Alcohol and drug addiction knows no boundaries…occupational, social and educational. The common thread we see in almost all of the people we treat is the suffering and impact on the individual and the family. Marworth also offers specialized programs of rehab for healthcare professionals, uniformed professionals and those with a dual-diagnosis mental illness.
For more information on Geisinger Marworth, please visit their website.
Marworth seeks an Executive Director (ED) to achieve its mission of providing evidence-based addiction treatment that initiates and sustains recovery from multiple forms of substance use disorders.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the ED will lead a prestigious residential recovery center that helps people reclaim their lives from the disease of addiction. As Marworth enters its next chapter, they seek an innovative, strategic ED who has a passion for and commitment to addiction treatment and recovery. The ED will have overall responsibility for Marworth, develop a long-term strategic plan in partnership with the Board of Directors and senior leadership, build upon and enhance the internal culture, oversee staff and budget operations, build / maintain relationships and collaborate with external partners. This is an opportunity to lead the organization to achieve even greater levels of strategic influence, impact, and innovation.
The ED’s primary responsibilities include:
- Lead the strategic planning process to identify the next phase of growth and impact for Marworth. Develop and implement a long-term strategic plan in partnership with the Board of Directors and senior leadership.
- Lead a culture that focuses on high quality addiction recovery while leveraging the strategic benefit of being a part of the Geisinger integrated delivery system.
- Direct operational leadership of clinical and non-clinical departments, with matrixed leadership for system support functions like food service, facilities, and security.
- Identify, coordinate, and execute on projects that improve Marworth’s operating margin, including but not limited to employee benefit carve-in strategy, structural and operational enhancements of utilization management, and other performance improvement and employee engagement opportunities.
- Promote Marworth’s mission, goals, and programs internally and externally.
- Development, oversight, and management of relationships with all referral sources, which include EAPs, Unions, trade organizations, etc.
- Partner with contracting resources to develop contracting strategies for Managed Care contracts.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors; communicate clearly and timely on matters impacting the center; lead board meetings, development of board members.
- Oversee IT and electronic health record governance, including the ongoing management of EHR vendor NetSmart.
- Responsibilities also include system performance oversight, contractual oversight, project sponsorship and alignment and ensuring functionality and deliverables are being met according to SLA contracts.
- Chair the EHR governance committee and prioritize and approve work relating to the EHR. Create structures to ensure regulatory compliance with DDAP, Carf, Joint Commission & Department of Health.
The Executive Director of Marworth will possess the following attributes and competencies:
- Knowledge of and deep commitment to the addiction and recovery industry.
- Significant visionary leadership and managerial experience in a complex, innovative organization, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs while driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all constituents.
- Expertise in developing and successfully executing both short- and long-term strategic plans in collaboration with Boards of Directors and senior leadership teams.
- Consistent track record of organizational achievement, operational and financial results.
- Proven success collaborating with a Board of Directors to optimize their engagement in the mission.
- Track record of leading, motivating, and developing high-performing, collaborative teams and building culturally healthy organizations with a service focus.
- Ability to inspire organizational and professional confidence, passion, and persistence in an ambitious, fast-paced, and results-oriented period of growth, all while maintaining a positive work environment.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders and build creative and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Preferably, previous progressive work and relevant industry experience in the substance abuse treatment industry.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability.
- Compassion for Marworth’s clients and belief in and support of the mission.
- Alignment with Marworth’s core values: kindness, excellence, safety, learning, and innovation.
Compensation & Benefits
Geisinger Marworth offers a competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience. The benefits package includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage. Vacation and holiday pay, retirement plan options, and opportunities for professional development are also offered.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Amy Shea of Koya Partners is leading this search. To express interest in this role, please submit your materials here or email Amy directly at Geisinger@koyapartners.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Geisinger Marworth Treatment Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.