About Feed the Soul Foundation
In 2020, amid a global pandemic, Black Restaurant Weeks LLC established Feed the Soul Foundation. The idea to establish Feed the Soul Foundation occurred as Black Restaurant Weeks traveled to various cities and noticed the systemic challenges of marginalized culinary businesses. Feed the Soul Foundation expands Black Restaurant Week’s mission to dismantle food injustice by working with marginalized entrepreneurs and professionals to ensure they obtain financial assistance, business development, educational training, and equitable opportunities.
Through its work, Feed the Soul supports business growth for BIPOC owned-culinary businesses to ensure a level playing field. By supporting the Black, LatinX, and Indigenous culinary communities through business development, financial assistance, and mentorship, Feed the Soul is reimagining food justice and encouraging economic stability in the culinary community.
By reimagining food justice by working with community partners, consultants, and corporations to make intentional programming that will support marginalized business owners to thrive.
Feed the Soul Foundation’s initiatives include:
- Restaurant Business Development Grant Program which awards multiple small food businesses with $10K grants and 6 months of culinary business development.
- The National Emergency Relief Fund supports small food businesses in the event of an unexpected emergency such as flooding or a break-in. Feed the Soul Foundation helps provide resources to help businesses reopen and get back on their feet.
- Project NXT Fund which provides scholarships, internships, and mentoring to marginalized hospitality management college students, creating a pathway to help grow the next generation of restaurant entrepreneurs.
For more information on Feed the Soul, please visit here.
At this exciting time, Feed the Soul is looking for a passionate and creative Executive Director (ED) to oversee the day-to-day operations, capacity building, programs, and fundraising of the organization. As Feed the Soul continues to think ambitiously around further impact, the next leader will work with an engaged Board of Directors and staff on setting a plan designed for growth.
The Executive Director will be responsible for identifying the resources necessary to sustain and expand Feed the Soul’s work and will serve as an ambassador for the organization throughout the community. This is an exciting opportunity for a committed professional to lead an organization to even greater levels of impact in the future.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics and we invite you to express an interest even if you do not meet all of them:
Strategic Organizational Leadership
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to identify and implement a strategic plan with short and long-term objectives
- Engage the Board of Directors and staff in ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness and impact of Feed the Soul’s programs to the small food business community
- Execute the mission of Feed the Soul by attracting and mentoring a talented team of staff
Fund Development and Community Relations
- Expands local and national revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and national expansion
- Cultivates relationships with private foundations, corporations, and community leaders to enhance fundraising efforts and the building of new partnerships and revenue
- Builds relationships with culinary institutions, universities, and community partners to ensure the foundation programs have reach and audience
- Will be an effective storyteller who can be in front of diverse and varied audience and engage, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and prospects
- Build awareness of the impact of Feed the Soul’s programs in local communities across the country for further impact and reach
- Provides leadership in developing new programs and managing current programs to support the Foundation’s mission
- Ensures ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation
- In partnership with the Program Director, the ED will collaborate with the Advisory Board on programs and needs, to address the Foundation’s constituents
Partnership with the Board of Directors
- Oversees organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and implements plans and policies authorized by the Board
- Oversees quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems and communicate effectively with the Board
- Partner with the Board on identifying the infrastructure and resources needed to incite change and promote growth
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Track record of successfully establishing and nurturing effective working relationships with leadership, Board, donors, prospects, and staff
- Energy, initiative, creativity, and drive with the ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects
- Strategic thinker who is good at making decisions with an understanding of how they impact the big picture
- Ability to fundraise through grants, corporate donors, private non-profit foundations, and fee generating activities
- Ability to attract, develop, retain, motivate, and lead staff while maintaining a high level of performance and a leadership style that is both empathetic and genuine
- Understanding and respect for communities with diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
- High level of emotional intelligence (self-awareness, empathy, and transparent communication)
- Good understanding of the operational and back-office technology systems and infrastructure of a nonprofit (HR, Finance, IT, etc).
- Strong strategic fiscal management, oversight, and budgeting skills
- Ability to maintain relationships with external stakeholders, funders, and diverse communities.
- At least five years of successful management level experience in a non-profit organization
Compensation & Benefits
Feed the Soul Foundation targeting a salary range of $140,000 – $150,00 commensurate on the candidate’s skills and experiences.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Alicia Salerno and Tatyana James here.
Feed the Soul is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.