CommonSpirit Health was created on February 1, 2019, with the merger of Dignity Health and Catholic Health Initiatives. CommonSpirit Health is now the nation’s largest not-for-profit healthcare system with $30 billion in annual revenue, a 21-state network of more than 150,000 employees and 142 hospitals, for-profit businesses, international ventures, home health, and other operational entities. The system has $38 billion in assets and a $21 billion investment portfolio.
With a national office in Chicago, the new organization is built on the legacy of 17 congregations of women religious who founded health ministries to serve people most in need. Catholic Health Initiatives CEO Kevin E. Lofton and Dignity Health President and CEO Lloyd H. Dean are serving as co-CEOs in the Office of the CEO for the new health system.
As a mission-driven health system, CommonSpirit Health (CSH) is committed to building healthier communities, advocating for the poor and disenfranchised, and innovating how and where healing can happen; both inside hospitals and out in the community. Both health systems also have a long, proud legacy of serving all people in need, especially those who’ve been made vulnerable by poverty, age, and hardship. CommonSpirit Health is continuing these legacies by actively advocating for positive social change.
The Executive Vice President, Physician Enterprise (EVP) will determine the executive leadership and strategic direction of the CommonSpirit Physician Enterprise’s national clinical and business operations to 1) set a strategy that ensures the future success of the Physician Enterprise in a changing healthcare landscape; 2) maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of current Physician Enterprise operations; and 3) produce fully integrated, high quality and cost-effective healthcare outcomes. This role will include financial oversight of the physician enterprise, including monitoring budgets, productivity measures and other internal controls to assure defined targets and maximum performance measures are attained.
The EVP, Physician Enterprise will oversee:
- Physician Enterprise strategy and operations in each of CommonSpirit Health’s five national regions, comprising over 5,500 physicians in 21 states
- CommonSpirit Health’s population health strategy
- Four Management Services Organizations (MSO’s) including one Third Party Administrator (TPA)
- Over 1,000 ambulatory sites of care
- Over $6B in gross revenue
- Approximately 2.4M patients attributed to some form of “at-risk” reimbursement
The ideal candidate will offer:
- Extensive administrative and/or clinical leadership experience. A medical degree is preferred. Advanced degree such as MBA, MHA, MP is strongly preferred.
- 15 or more years of related management and leadership experience consistent with the attainment of the requisite job knowledge/abilities.
- Proven track record of success leading a geographically dispersed medical group.
- The ability to work within the context of a complex health care organization will be essential.
- A strong instinct to partner and collaborate, with a bias for action.
- Experience leading organizations currently engaged in one or more population health initiatives that have demonstrated positive results in more tightly integrating physicians and hospitals to reduce cost and improve clinical quality and patient experience.
- Experience working in a payor or risk-bearing entity is desirable.