BJC Medical Group is a physician-led organization employing 387 primary care and specialty physicians, 192 advanced practice providers, and a total of nearly 2,000 employees. BJC Medical Group services patients across 139 practice sites, covering the St. Louis metropolitan area, communities in Illinois, and Farmington and Sullivan, Missouri. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of BJC Healthcare, a 15-hospital not-for-profit health system with $5.5 billion in revenue, more than 30,000 employees, and a member of the BJC Collaborative, a group of eight leading not-for-profit health systems in Missouri and Illinois which have affiliated with each other to drive advancements in patient care, quality of service and to lead care innovation in the Midwest. BJC HealthCare is also affiliated with Washington University School of Medicine.
BJC Medical Group employs health care providers in a variety of medical specialties including allergy, audiology, breast surgery, cardiology, colorectal surgery, electrophysiology, endocrinology, family medicine, gastroenterology, gerontology, hospitalist, infectious disease, internal medicine, interventional cardiology, maternal and fetal medicine, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedic surgery, spine surgery, general surgery, otolaryngology, pediatrics, psychiatry, radiation oncology, rheumatology and sleep medicine.
BJC Medical Group aims to strengthen the physician-patient bond by developing long-term, healing relationships and offering exceptional patient experiences. To fulfill its mission of improving the health of the people and communities served, BJC HealthCare provides a full continuum of services through an integrated network of more than 100 non-hospital-based health care delivery settings. To further its community reach and impact, BJC Medical Group will be opening a new 40,000 square foot clinic facility in fall 2021 in Illinois.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for formulating the BJC Medical Group physician and ambulatory business strategy and operational plans. S/he will ensure optimal efficiencies and market positioning to provide excellent patient care to the communities served by BJC HealthCare in Missouri and Illinois. The COO must interact with hospital leadership, physician leaders and other key stakeholders to foster an environment of collaboration and communication to ensure implementation of strategy and removal of any barriers to expected operational results. S/he will be responsible for strategic operations, financial performance and staffing for the ambulatory enterprise. Additionally, the COO will ensure strong working relationships between ambulatory clinics located on hospital campuses and the Presidents of those hospitals. BJC Medical Group is operating in a period of innovative growth and is committed to increasing market share.
This position will provide leadership to Regional Directors accountable for creating a patient care model that allows physicians, advanced practice practitioners and other clinicians to improve patient outcomes by leveraging best practices and continuous improvement with uncompromising quality, standards and results. The successful candidate will be a member of the Performance Improvement Team responsible for key performance indicator monitoring and reporting, an operating system rollout and patient care model. S/he will serve on the Physician Compensation/Contract Committee, EPIC Steering Committee and Physician Leadership Team.
- Bachelor’s Degree required with 10 or more years of experience in creating ambulatory business strategy and operational plans.
- 10 or more years of supervisory experience is required.
- Comfortable working in an environment that has medical groups of varying size and geographies, matrixed structures able to lead a mixed clinical and administrative staff within BJC.
- Proven ability to lead large scale change and prioritize the implementation of multiple projects over multiple years, across a complex, matrix organization.
- Effective, controlled, and congenial leadership presence with extraordinary influencing skills—assertive, not abrasive and remains poised under pressure with strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Clearly knowledgeable in their field of expertise yet able to demonstrate humility and exceptional skills in developing and forging successful working relationships with executive leadership, physicians, and other key functional stakeholders.
- Able to lead to clear decisions in a changing, often ambiguous, environment.
- Strategic and critical thinker with an eye towards, and an appreciation for, implementation tactics.
- Keen financial intellect and strong quantitative/analytical acumen.
- Possess exceptional organization, project management and system improvement skills.
- Excellent planning, interpersonal, problem solving, analytic (both qualitative and quantitative), and oral and written communication skills. Communication, team-building and team-leading skills are essential, as this position will interact with all levels of personnel and management.