The Saint Louis Brewery LLC, which does business as Schlafly Beer, is the leading craft brewer and operator of brewery restaurants in St. Louis. Schlafly is one of the original craft breweries in the United States, founded in 1991 by Thomas F. Schlafly and Daniel J. Kopman. The Company sells beer to wholesalers in a region that extends approximately 300 miles around St. Louis. It offers more than 60 styles of beer including year-round “flagship” styles and numerous seasonal, special-release and other styles, packaged primarily in glass bottles and kegs. Saint Louis Brewery operates two restaurants, the Schlafly Tap Room, which is located on the premises of its current headquarters and its original brewery in the city of St. Louis, and Schlafly Bottleworks, which is located on the premises of its current production brewery in the City of Maplewood in St. Louis County.
Schlafly Beer is seeking a charismatic and strategic leader to serve as Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CEO will be responsible for the day-to-day leadership of the company, with a particular emphasis on the outward-facing parts of the business, including branding, marketing, product and packaging innovation, distributor management and community relationship building. Central goals will be maintaining Schlafly’s high standards for brewing exceptional beer, inspiring its people, and contributing in myriad ways to the St. Louis community that has supported it for nearly 30 years. The CEO will have the benefit of a talented and high-energy management team that includes leaders in brewing, operations, sales, marketing, finance, and restaurant operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in consumer products businesses. Five years of management experience in craft beer preferred.
- Proven ability to work with, motivate and develop people while maintaining a positive culture based on hard work, collaboration and having fun.
- Prior leadership experience in growing sales of branded consumer products through consumer engagement, social media and local and event-based marketing.
- Skilled in managing distributor relationships to maximize sales through multiple channels.
- Analytical thinker and “data junkie” with ability to synthesize market, consumer, financial and other information and incorporate it in strategic and operational decisions.
- Demonstrated success as an engaged and respected leader who can effectively run an organization of approximately 200 people.
- Background in sales, marketing, brand management and product and packaging innovation.
- Strong business and financial acumen; ability to develop/manage operating and capital budgets; and working knowledge of financial documents.
- Skilled in recruiting, hiring and building cohesive, productive teams.
- High energy, strong drive and contagious enthusiasm; strong sense of urgency.
- Good role model with strong sense of ethics.