The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) is the largest, most comprehensive facility for medical treatment, medical education, and biomedical research in Arkansas. UAMS impacts the state of Arkansas economy by generating 18,500 jobs and $3.92 billion expenditures annually. As the only medical school in a state with 2.96 million people, UAMS enjoys statewide support from Arkansas’ citizens and a cooperative relationship with the state legislature. Established in 1879, UAMS includes the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and Health-Related Professions, as well as a Graduate School. With 64 degree programs, UAMS has 2,890 students: 682 in the College of Medicine, 712 in nursing, 468 in pharmacy, 153 in public health, 558 in health related professions, and 317 in graduate school. Additionally, UAMS has 782 residents. Nearly 80% of UAMS’ students remain in Arkansas after graduation as teachers, researchers, and medical practitioners.
The Chair of the Department of Dermatology at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) will be an outstanding academic physician who can lead the Department in addressing all aspects of the mission of the Department and College of Medicine: clinical care, research, education, and service. Dermatology is expected to continue to be a growth area at UAMS. The successful candidate will be an innovative leader who shares the vision of UAMS for excellence and clinical service and understands the critically interdependent role Dermatology plays with hospital operations and other clinical departments. The successful candidate will have current board certification in Dermatology, and with appropriate experience and credentials will be appointed at the Associate Professor or Full Professor level on the tenure track in the College of Medicine.
- An MD degree with Board Certification from the American Board of Dermatology.
- Ability to obtain medical licensure for the State of Arkansas.
- Applicable clinical, education, and administrative experience.
- Successful track record in recruiting, mentoring and teaching exemplary physicians.
- Demonstration of professional competence and ethical standards that allow the Chair to serve as a role model for other faculty, fellows, and resident physicians.
- Demonstrable achievements in building and sustaining a successful dermatology program.
- Advocate for organizational values and commitment to gender equity and diversity.