The University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) is the state’s only academic health science center. UMMC encompasses seven health science schools: medicine, nursing, dentistry, health related professions, graduate studies, population health, and pharmacy. Enrollment in all programs is more than 2,900 students. UMMC is located on a 164-acre campus in the heart of Jackson, the state’s capital city. UMMC is currently searching for the right candidate to be the next chair of the department of medicine.
With more than 9,600 full- and part-time employees, including more than 630 physicians, UMMC is one of the largest employers in Mississippi. The Medical Center’s $1.6 billion annual budget represents 10 percent of the Jackson metro area economy and 2 percent of the state economy. UMMC and the School of Medicine strive to provide quality and equitable health care to all citizens of Mississippi and the region. The School of Medicine enrolls approximately 145 students per class, and has gradually been increasing enrollment for the last five years to meet the state’s growing need for physicians. When a new, $74 million medical school building is completed in 2017, enrollment per class will further increase to 165 students.
The Chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center provides leadership and has overall responsibility for the Internal Medicine services of the Medical Center as well as the teaching and research programs. Principal accountabilities span patient care, education, and scholarly activities. The Chair, Department of Medicine develops goals and objectives to help the Department enhance and grow excellent clinical programs. As the leader of the Department, the Chair of the Department of Medicine works collaboratively with colleagues to set high standards for the delivery of excellent clinical care at all levels and for the provision of excellence in customer service. Additionally, the Chair, Department of Medicine enhances the teaching programs for students, residents and fellows. S/he assures that all efforts are focused on recruiting and supporting a diverse group of students and trainees, emphasizing the need to attract under-represented minorities to the field of Medicine. The Chair, Department of Medicine ensures quality education resulting in an excellent pass rate on boards. The historic strength of research and scholarly activities within UMMC provides a solid foundation upon which to continue building a research and scholarship agenda. The Chair, Department of Medicine will build on the already established platforms and initiate new endeavors.
- MD degree or MD/PhD from an accredited institution.
- Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- Eligibility for permanent, unrestricted licensure in Mississippi.
- Academic achievement sufficient to qualify for appointment as Professor at University of Mississippi Medical Center.
- Strong commitment to patient care, reflecting a service-oriented philosophy with hospital administration and with colleagues in other specialties.
- A reputation for building a clinically strong program.
- Demonstrated success as a leader in a Department or Division of Medicine of an interdisciplinary institute, or of an academic entity of comparable size and scope.
- Successful track record of recruitment and development of faculty, trainees, and students.
- Abilities and interests in assuming broader leadership responsibilities within the Medical Center.