About America’s Voice & America’s Voice Education Fund
The mission of America’s Voice (AV) and America’s Voice Education Fund (AVEF) is to build the public support and the political will needed to enact policy changes that secure freedom and opportunity for immigrants in America. Priority goal: win reforms that put 11 million undocumented Americans on a path to full citizenship.
At America’s Voice, we support the following immigration reform elements:
- A direct, fair, and inclusive road to citizenship for immigrants in the U.S. without papers.
- Channels for future legal immigration that are flexible and functional.
- Robust protections and guaranteed rights for all workers.
- Enforcement that is targeted and fair, and respects immigrants’ rights.
- Full and equal rights for all immigrants.
If we do this right – with a line to get into and a roadmap to citizenship for immigrants in America today; sensible legal channels for immigrants who are needed tomorrow; and accountability for employers who violate the law and exploit workers – we will finally have an immigration system that reflects our values as a nation. We work in partnership with progressive, faith-based, labor, civil rights, and grassroots groups, networks, and leaders to advance policies and legislation that stabilize the lives of 11 million Americans-in-waiting and put them on the road to full citizenship.
For more information on America’s Voice (AV), please visit our website.
America’s Voice seeks a dynamic, dedicated, and driven Executive Director to assume oversight for the continued success, transition, and growth of the organization. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be a visionary and who can advance America’s Voice’s work to advocate for the 11 million undocumented Americas on their path to citizenship.
The Executive Director is responsible for setting and executing the strategic vision, while also managing seamless communications and advocacy initiatives to support immigrant rights. They will bring proven management expertise with a passion for communications, technology, advocacy, and commitment to immigrant rights. With the empathy to navigate race, equity, and justice with integrity and a sense of humor, the Executive Director must be a hands-on leader, strategic and analytic thinker, and problem solver who responds to challenges effectively, with sound judgment.
The successful candidate will embody the values and characteristics that are indicative of a true leader and executive. The Executive Director will be experienced in driving programmatic growth and excellence, developing resources from both public and private funders, and collaborating with partners. An effective communicator and skilled leader of people, the Executive Director will also call out injustice and standup for the principles of our community and the mission of America’s Voice.
The Executive Director must also be capable of growing the organization into the next decade and beyond. The Executive Director will bring great energy and vision, coupled with exceptional financial and business acumen. The Executive Director’s oversight will be responsible for business planning and organizational design, change management, marketing and communications, nurturing and influencing critical business and personal relationships, and fundraising for the overall purpose of empowering others to achieve America’s Voice’s mission.
Commitment to Mission and Values
The Executive Director will have a deep commitment for the mission, vision, and values of America’s Voice to build the public support and the political will needed to enact policy changes that secure freedom and opportunity for immigrants in America. The Executive Director will model openness, honesty, and accountability to colleagues, volunteers, donors, and all others involved with America’s Voice. The Executive Director will be an empathic leader, treating others with respect. A proven and committed advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, the Executive Director will work in close partnership with Board members and staff on working through and advancing these efforts.
Strategic & Visionary Leader
The Executive Director will be a strategic leader and visionary thinker who will have the drive and passion to lead America’s Voice into its next chapter. They will be eager to identify strategic priorities for advocacy to support areas in the immigration policy space. The Executive Director will execute strategy, provide focus, and enlist the commitment of others to achieve the vision. A leader committed to service, this individual will be accessible, transparent, and comfortable at the helm of a non-hierarchical organization. The Executive Director will be a natural collaborator and will have experience working with a Board of Directors regarding new opportunities and establishing bold yet realistic strategies and annual business plans that are consistent with the ideals and objectives of the organization.
Communications & Advocacy Expert
The Executive Director will be a confident spokesperson for America’s Voice and will be able to communicate effectively with and garner respect from a diverse group of stakeholders. Comfortable leading through influence, this individual will build and maintain relationships, as well as initiate new partnerships, with a broad range of constituents, including media, government officials, and other nonprofit organizations in the movement. This diplomatic individual will understand how to navigate government partnerships to impact policy. The Executive Director will be an engaged and active listener and will value transparent communication to build trust with staff, community leaders, media outlets, and grassroots organizers. This leader will excel at articulating and motivating others around America’s Voice mission and vision to win reforms that put 11 million undocumented Americans on a path to full citizenship.
Fundraising & External Relations
The Executive Director will bring to the role a strong capacity in and genuine enthusiasm for fundraising, including securing foundation, government, and individual support. Bringing impressive networking skills, this charismatic leader will have the ability to diversify America’s Voice revenue stream. The Executive Director will have a strategic vision for long-term revenue generation and will offer innovative ways to increase funding to ensure long-term sustainability. An experienced and proven leader in fundraising and development, the Executive Director will have the expertise and mindset to build out America’s Voice development operation and ideally will bring their own network to the organization. They will play a key role in planning, organizing, and conducting events and activities in efforts to increase and enhance fundraising results. An influential and authentic communicator, the Executive Director will have an ability to inspire others and build community.
Management & Operations Excellence
The Executive Director will be a strong and experienced organizational manager, with a thorough understanding of nonprofit management practices and will ensure fiduciary responsibility and sound fiscal management practices and accountability are maintained across the organization. This individual will excel at building the infrastructure and the implementation of the systems required to execute a strategic vision for America’s Voice.
An inclusive and unifying manager with a shared leadership style, the Executive Director will build trust with staff and establish clarity on roles, responsibilities, and targeted outcomes. This individual will demonstrate the ability to build, nurture, and retain a strong team of diverse professionals, building and promoting an inclusive and cohesive culture. The Executive Director will be an empathic and inclusive leader, displaying the highest degree of integrity in the role.
Role and Responsibilities
The Executive Director will be a seasoned leader and manager with experience in high-growth, high-impact initiatives. They will be deeply motivated by America’s Voice ambitious mission and vision for social change and immigration rights and will have the business acumen required to grow an organization that can support this vision while also creating a workplace and team culture that attracts and retains talent.
Strong candidates will bring experience and significant skills in the responsibility areas outlined above. Ideally, they will have cross-sectoral experience and exposure to the fields in which America’s Voice works, including issues facing immigrant rights, social justice, and communications.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, a successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A visionary mindset, with the ability to develop and articulate a vision that is ambitious and inspiring
- Lead America’s Voice strategic planning, operations, and policy engagement, and communications efforts
- Represent America’s Voice to external partners and other stakeholders and provide expert consultation related to policy, funding opportunities, and other specialty areas
- Strong people and team manager with the confidence to delegate effectively, establish a culture of ongoing feedback, and provide a coaching and mentoring approach that fosters growth and attracts and retains talent.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills that build support and inspire people to action
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an external spokesperson and thought leader desired
- The Executive Director will be able to set priorities, make decisions, and assess risks in a timely manner while keeping the best interests of the organization in mind
- The ability to move between the private, government, and nonprofit sectors with fluidity and ease, offering credibility and leadership to audiences across traditional boundaries
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills at the individual and organizational/partnership level as well as across sectors
- Relevant networks that will help the organization expand its reach and impact are not a requirement, but are desirable
- Deep, personal commitment to building and leading a diverse, equitable workplace and working with diverse communities more broadly
- Strong people and team manager with the confidence to delegate effectively and a coaching and mentoring approach that fosters growth and advancement and attracts and retains talent
- Organizational leadership approach that is marked by transparent decision-making, coordination among teams, and an inclusive work environment
- Experience working with a Board of Directors is ideal, relevant relationship building and engagement management skills strongly desired
- Strong business acumen, including financial and budget management, assessment and refinement of staff roles and responsibilities, and the implementation of systems and practices designed to maximize efficiency and expand impact
- Experience with revenue generation and/or fundraising, along with the expertise and credibility to open doors and build strong relationships with current and potential donors, clients, and partners
- A solid communications orientation coupled with the ability and desire to engage in business development and fundraising efforts; the ability to pitch, sell, and deliver excellent service as well as create buy-in for a broader social mission
Compensation & Benefits
The starting annual base salary for this role will be $225,000, commensurate with experience. America’s Voice offers excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance. All regular full-time employees are entitled, at no cost to the employee, to participate in an AV/AVEF provided group Health Care Benefits Program. The Health Care Benefits Program includes Major Medical, Hospitalization, Dental and Vision plans. Program benefit levels, products and options are set at the discretion of the Health Care Benefits provider, currently CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, and/or AV/AVEF. Health Care benefits are also currently available to dependents of AV and AVEF employees at an additional cost.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role, please visit here or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
AV and AVEF provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals. AV and AVEF do not discriminate in the terms or conditions of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. AV and AVEF make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship or would be otherwise inconsistent with law. This policy governs all terms and conditions of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com