This position has been filled.
At the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education® (AFCPE®) our mission is to ensure the highest level of knowledge, skill, and integrity of the personal finance profession by certifying, connecting, and supporting diverse and capable professionals who serve communities worldwide.
We believe in a future where all people — regardless of income or background — are empowered to achieve lasting financial well-being through the highest standards of financial counseling, coaching, and education.
For more information on AFCPE, please visit website.
The Executive Director (ED) will oversee operations for all AFCPE essential business functions and staff on behalf of the AFCPE Board of Directors and members of AFCPE. The Executive Director will be charged with building off of a successful history and leading the organization into a future of sustained and increased impact. Specifically, the ED will be entrepreneurial and creative and focus on both increasing brand recognition and the growth of the programs through the development of new and increased partnerships.
This leader will be part of a dynamic, collaborative, high performing team with a results-oriented approach. The ED will have a strong connection to the mission and an understanding that the ultimate goal of AFCPE is to help individuals and communities become stronger and more financially self-sufficient. This person must be a self-starter with excellent follow-through to move the needle on impact and progress. The ED will be expected to continually work to increase AFCPE’s impact through certification to ensure the highest standards of professionalism for the field.
This position reports directly to the Executive Board of Directors.
Fundraising/ Partnership Development
- Oversee annual and long-term development efforts to enable the organization to fulfill its mission; provide leadership in identifying innovative fundraising strategies. Grow the existing Strategic Impact Quasi-Endowment Fund.
- Identify opportunities with major individual donors, corporate sponsors, and foundations.
- Steward existing individual donors and corporate relationships.
- Work with staff, Board, and volunteers to achieve annual fundraising goals.
- Responsible for the financial integrity of the organization, ensuring the organization operates within the Finance and Accounting Policies and Investment Policy Statement while remaining in a positive financial position.
- Maintain sound financial practices.
- Responsible for submitting to the Board a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the condition of the organization.
- Maintain records and documentation that meets all federal, and state laws and regulations
- Oversee the annual audit process.
- Oversee the disbursement of funds.
- In partnership with the Board, help oversee the Strategic Impact Fund in accordance with the Board’s Investment Policy.
Organization & Administration
- Responsible for overseeing efficient and effective organizational processes and procedures supporting a strong infrastructure for AFCPE.
- Responsible for managing the human resources function of the organization including attracting, retaining, training, and evaluating a strong team to support the operations of AFCPE and its future growth and expansion.
- Promote active participation by members and volunteers.
- Key participant in strategic planning to ensure that AFCPE can successfully fulfill its mission and grow its impact.
- Responsible for implementation of the strategic plan.
- Lead by demonstrating that AFCPE elevates best practices but also creates new programs and processes that enable the organization to fulfill its mission.
- Position AFCPE as a thought leader to achieve our mission, by being active and visible in the industry and working closely with other partners and organizations
- Maintain and utilize a working knowledge of significant trends in the field of personal finance, financial counseling, financial coaching, and not-for-profit management
- Research and develop synergistic partnerships and relationships locally, statewide, and nationally.
- Provide leadership, partnership and support to the Board, Board committees and Task Force groups.
- Provide the Board with timely and accurate reports and communication to ensure the flow of appropriate information regarding opportunities and challenges to the organization.
- Lead the Board through development of strategic planning at planned intervals.
- Assure that Board outcomes are inclusive of all points of view and work with Nomination Task Force to ensure a diverse and well-rounded Board with a clear leadership pipeline.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Integrity and commitment to AFCPE’s mission. Adherence to AFCPE Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- Master’s degree in consumer science, personal finance, financial planning, business administration preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong business writing, oral communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong leadership experience resulting in positive cultures.
- Effective time management skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills.
- Self-starter and driven with proven ability to work independently.
- Excellent attention to detail and high level of accuracy required.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook).
- Proven ability to learn and effectively operate technology independently.
- Able to work collaboratively within the staff to support strategic direction.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy and Sarah Wilson here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
AFCPE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. AFCPE is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates. Minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.