About A Better Wisconsin Together
A Better Wisconsin Together (ABWT) is the progressive state communications and research hub. It is a Progress Now affiliate, and an advocacy organization serving as the center for progressive message development, testing, and communications in Wisconsin.
Working with partner organizations, ABWT holds the right-wing accountable and promotes progressive ideas and values. Messaging is research-driven and targeted for maximum impact using cutting-edge digital, earned, paid, and social media strategies.
For more information on A Better Wisconsin Together please visit its website.
The Executive Director will lead the team and set both the strategy and the operational plan for this critical progressive infrastructure organization in Wisconsin. The Executive Director will work closely with a coalition of state and national partners to deliver innovative approaches to issue education, advocacy, and independent expenditures campaigns. Using cutting-edge technology, the Executive Director will lead efforts to amplify the voices of Wisconsinites and hold conservatives accountable for the real-life effects of their policy-making decisions.
The ideal candidate is a proven progressive leader, a strategic thinker, and possesses a solid understanding of the latest innovations in message development and delivery. The Executive Director will have experience in the campaign and issue advocacy arenas, along with coalition building and management expertise. This is an incredible opportunity for a collaborative leader to play a key role in restoring Wisconsin’s status as a progressive model for the nation.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Lead a multi-million-dollar communications campaign using all available and appropriate tactics including earned media, paid media, and digital engagement;
- Engage coalition partners in the strategy development and execution of A Better Wisconsin Together’s work;
- Create and execute a 2021-22 plan for message development that includes the latest innovative approaches to research-based message testing;
- Drive communications that utilize cutting-edge technologies to deliver data-driven messaging to targeted audiences;
- Manage a strong and qualified core team of six staff plus multiple consultants;
- Play a leadership role in the progressive infrastructure and long-term planning in Wisconsin;
- Drive fundraising efforts to support the work of A Better Wisconsin Together;
- Manage multiple legal entities, including a 501c4 and a 501c3 charitable organization, as well as a 527 state Political Action Committee;
- Develop the organizational budget and manage fiscal operations of the organization, including programmatic campaigns;
- Work closely with a volunteer Board of Directors and Advisory Committee;
- Manage and ensure organizational compliance with IRS and campaign finance laws, including working with legal counsel, and ensuring timely compliance filing with state and federal agencies.
The ideal candidate will have many of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years of senior level experience leading advocacy, political or electoral, or independent expenditure activities or campaigns for progressives;
- An understanding of communications, research, and how to amplify a message;
- Understanding of how earned and paid media can work together, and experience building and implementing campaign communications plans in one or both areas of media;
- Solid knowledge of the latest innovations in message development and delivery techniques, including digital advertising and digital organizing;
- Experience hiring and managing staff and consultants, and working with volunteer boards in a positive, team-oriented environment;
- Experience centering equity in management and organizational development;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders;
- Experience in building, maintaining, and working in diverse coalitions;
- Experience developing and managing multi-million-dollar budgets;
- Previous work in or knowledge of 501c3, 501c4, and/or 527 organizations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, within the range of $125,000 – $145,000.
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
A Better Wisconsin Together is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.