About American Association of University Women
Though we are nonpartisan, we are not values-neutral: We fight to remove the barriers and biases that stand in the way of gender equity. We train women to negotiate for pay and benefits and to pursue leadership roles. And we advocate for federal, state, and local laws and policies to ensure equity and end discrimination.
Values – Nonpartisan. Fact-based. Principled. Inclusive and Intersectional.
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is one of the nation’s leading voices supporting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. In 2021, we are proud to celebrate 140 years of advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 women has grown into a powerful, nationwide network of more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
For more information on American Association of University Woman, please visit their website.
AAUW is seeking a talented and experienced Vice President of Programs and Fellowships to lead our team of dedicated professionals. The Vice President of Programs and Fellowships directs the organization’s external programs, curricula, and events focused on advancing women’s equity in education and training, economic security, and leadership. They will have overall management and operational responsibility for all strategic plan programmatic areas which includes STEM, Fellowships & Grants, the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL), AAUW Empower career-boosting workshops and our award-winning salary negotiation programs. They will oversee the general management of all program areas, including program development, delivery, curriculum, and evaluation; budget oversight, knowledge management, external relations, and staff management.
The position plays a key role in the senior management team for the comprehensive programmatic strategy for AAUW on a national basis. The Vice President of Programs and Fellowships must possess deep knowledge of core focus areas and have the capacity to quickly delve into each project and programmatic area and strategy, program operations, and business plans. This position reports to and will work closely with AAUW’s CEO on the continued alignment of the work of the departments with AAUW’s strategic, financial, and organizational goals as a principal, trusted, and integral member of the AAUW leadership team.
Program Leadership & Management
- As a member of the leadership team, work collaboratively with senior leadership to ensure that AAUW’s programmatic and fellowships and grants work align with the strategic plan and advance the organization’s mission and goals.
- Oversee the design, development, and expansion of leadership curricula for current and new initiatives focused on gendered gaps in STEM, leadership, education & training and economic security.
- Supervise large-scale virtual and in-person event programming including the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders, as well as medium- to small-scale workshops focused on salary negotiation, leadership, and career-building.
- Manage teams across focus areas and work with them to increase program effectiveness and efficiencies, meet performance metrics, advance data driven assessments, grow inclusive audiences and ensure programs reflect the latest research and best practices.
- Prepare, manage, and monitor departmental budgets across all focus areas, including grants, restricted project funding, and conference and workshop revenue.
- Serve as team lead and collaborate across the organization with Advancement, Public Policy, Legal Advocacy & Research, Operations, and Communications & External Relations and other teams as required.
- Work with programs and fellowships staff to develop systems for consistent, high-quality project management and reporting to ensure project and/or programmatic milestones are achieved within the required timeframe.
- Monitor and ensure a cohesive department structure that supports effective program management and development of current programs.
- Contribute to the writing and review of grant reports and proposals, AAUW publications, communications materials, and presentations.
Strategy & External Relationships
- Work across departments and programs to realize AAUW’s strategic plan goals; identify innovations and opportunities to pilot and/or scale programs and expand programs to under resourced audiences and communities.
- Develop and execute business plans (with programmatic team leads) to move ideas from exploration, to pilot, to growth.
- Collaborate with Communications team to ensure the full range of programs and fellowships activities are marketed for outreach across digital and print media spaces for current and growth of new audiences.
- Work collaboratively with Advancement team to maximize fundraising activities to support existing and new programs and magnify growth in strategic areas.
- Manage relationships with partner organizations and develop strategic contacts and affiliations with diverse partners.
- Establish specific annual objectives and performance expectations and track and assess progress on meeting objectives and professional development goals.
- Supervise team leads; provide direction, and guidance to support their leadership and professional development.
- Coach and support to team leads to establish and sustain a culture of inclusion, growth, and performance.
- Proactively ensure efficient and effective team processes, operations, and collaboration.
Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
The Vice President of Programs and Fellowships will be thoroughly committed to implementing AAUW’s strategic plan and mission. All candidates should have demonstrated leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience and strong demonstrated success managing funder relationships.
Skills and Experiences
- Minimum 15 years of directly relevant professional experience, with 5 years as a Senior Leader; Advanced degree preferred
- Successful track record of exceptional program management with direct responsibility for program design, curriculum and training, implementation, and evaluation
- Proven excellence in project management including piloting and scaling programs with demonstrated excellence in achieving strategic goals and program objectives for diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of partners, funders, and clients
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to engage across internal and external partners; superior training, facilitation skills and representational ability
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Office 365 and customer relations management software
- Exceptional interpersonal and team leadership skills, including recruiting, managing, and developing inclusive, high-performing teams
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple, simultaneous tasks and deadlines
- Proactive ability to take initiative and engage in creative thinking with a growth mindset
- Demonstrated capability in strategic visioning and planning
- Commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
- Personal qualities of integrity, good judgement, credibility and a commitment to inclusion and equity
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW’s values, mission, goals, and objectives
- Ability to travel as needed when it is safe to do so based on pandemic guidelines
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $175,000 – $190,000 and it is offered along with a competitive benefits package.
The position is based in Washington, DC. During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD, or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or to Angie directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group firm, is dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world. At Koya, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our clients, and the communities we serve.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. Koya does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.