About Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut
Founded in 1983, the Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut serves as the hub for meaningful philanthropy for 42 communities in the eastern third of our state, with a total population of approximately 450,000 residents.
We manage over 600 funds that were created by generous people who care deeply about their communities. Together, the funds entrusted to us provide over $8 million each year in grants and scholarships in Eastern Connecticut and beyond.
We help donors and their professional advisors establish personally meaningful charitable funds that make a lasting impact on the issues and communities of greatest interest to them. Our experience helps us connect them to the region’s current and emerging needs and bring about enduring change. Thanks to the funds established by our donors, we are able to offer charitable grants to nonprofit organizations to support their work in our communities; as well as hundreds of annual scholarships to help local students pursue their educational dreams.
Throughout our 40-year history, we have routinely convened meetings of community leaders, nonprofits, service agencies, business leaders, volunteers, donors and local residents to discuss our shared challenges and to explore and pursue the best ways to address them.
For more information on the Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut, please visit our website.
The Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking leader to join our team as the Vice President. Reporting directly to the President, this role is instrumental in championing operational excellence, fostering cross-team collaboration, and shaping our strategic direction. As the second-in-command, the Vice President will play a pivotal role in advancing the Foundation's mission and enhancing its community impact.
In this influential role, you will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of positive change in Eastern Connecticut. As Vice President, you will join a passionate and dedicated team committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of residents in our community. You'll have a unique opportunity to shape the operational landscape, optimize our philanthropic initiatives, and streamline internal processes. Your leadership will play a vital role in ensuring efficient operations and resource utilization, ultimately contributing to the betterment of Eastern Connecticut. If you're eager to leave a lasting legacy and be part of a vibrant community-focused organization, we invite you to be a driving force in our mission.
The ideal candidate will play a pivotal role in supporting the President’s advocacy and vision while managing the Foundation’s internal operations and maximizing its impact within the Eastern Connecticut community. They will bring the capability to accomplish the following:
- Optimize Operational Excellence: Oversee and enhance the Foundation's day-to-day operations, ensuring the efficient execution of programs and initiatives. Maximize and leverage organizational resources for maximum impact.
- Collaborative Leadership: Collaborate closely with the President to understand and advance the Foundation’s vision for systems-level change and advocacy, contributing to transformative strategies.
- Team Management: Provide effective leadership and mentorship to internal teams, ensuring smooth operations while fostering a culture of collaboration, accountability, and professional growth.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Utilize data to optimize technology resources and process, inform strategic decisions, measure program effectiveness, and identify areas for improvement.
- Align Programmatic and Donor Stewardship Goals: Contribute to the development efforts by connecting and ensuring alignment between programmatic and donor stewardship strategies.
- Proven ability to think strategically, contribute to the development of transformative strategies, and align organizational efforts with a visionary mission;
- Extensive experience in senior leadership, demonstrating a track record of optimizing operational excellence and maximizing resources within a nonprofit or philanthropic organization;
- Strong leadership and management skills, including the ability to lead and inspire internal teams, fostering a culture of collaboration and accountability;
- In-depth knowledge of community foundations and a profound understanding of Eastern Connecticut, enabling effective leadership and philanthropic initiatives tailored to the community's unique needs, strongly desired;
- Experience in advocating for systems-level change and an understanding of the importance of advocacy work in achieving transformative impact;
- Proven ability to maximize and leverage organizational resources, including financial and human capital, to achieve mission-driven goals;
- Familiarity with development strategies, with the capability to bridge programmatic initiatives with donor stewardship efforts;
- Commitment to DEI principles and the ability to foster an inclusive environment within the organization's operations and initiatives;
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building abilities to effectively engage with donors, partners, community leaders, and internal teams;
- Proven leadership experience, ideally in a senior leadership role within a nonprofit or philanthropic organization;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a hybrid work environment;
- Passion for the Foundation's mission and the Eastern Connecticut community;
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field preferred; advanced degree desirable.
Compensation & Benefits
This position is based in New London, CT with a hybrid work environment. The starting salary for this position is $130,000, commensurate with experience. Compensation details will be discussed in greater detail during the screening process. A comprehensive benefits package includes employee health care, dental and vision coverage, disability insurance, as well as an industry leading 403(b) plan and generous paid time off.
Shelby Woods and Erin Reedy of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials by filling out the Talent Profile. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.