About Climate Action Campaign
CAC is a vibrant coalition of a dozen major national environment, environmental justice, and public health groups, working together to drive ambitious, durable federal action based on science, to address the climate crisis. Our goal is to reduce climate pollution and accelerate the transition to clean energy and a sustainable society in ways that support justice, jobs, improved health and quality of life for all.
CAC member organizations include Center for American Progress, Earthjustice, Environment America, Environmental Defense Fund, League of Conservation Voters, National Hispanic Medical Association, National Wildlife Federation, Natural Resources Defense Council, Sierra Club, Union of Concerned Scientists, U.S. Climate Action Network, and WE ACT for Environmental Justice.
CAC also supports more than 60 partners and allies nationally and in six states working together to rally public support to tackle the climate crisis. CAC serves as an important center of gravity and convening body for dozens of organizations working together to implement the passage of ambitious federal climate policy that is centered on investment, standards, jobs, health, and justice and win bold administrative action from the EPA and other key federal agencies.
For more information on CAC, please visit here.
CAC is seeking an experienced Senior Director of Communications (Senior Director) to play a critical role in building and leading a talented team to engender the political will and public support for bold climate action. Working closely with the Senior Leadership Team and campaign director, the Senior Director will have input into setting campaign priorities and will create and drive a narrative to protect clean air and promote action to limit climate change. In addition, the Senior Director will identify and execute communications strategies that convey the importance of climate and clean energy initiatives and defend against efforts to dismantle climate progress.
The Senior Director will work closely with a coalition of diverse environmental, justice, and public health organizations, and will bring a collaborative and partnership orientation to work effectively across the coalition, as well as foster an innovative and creative work environment.
The Senior Director will be a strategic and tactical leader for a department that is poised for increased impact and to continue to elevate the work of CAC.
Key Responsibilities may include:
- Creating and coordinating messaging for organizations participating in coalition activities including state field tables and partner groups
- Conceiving and delivering creative strategies to drive earned, social, opinion, and paid media campaigns to forward advocacy goals
- Hiring, training and leading a team of internal staff and managing a stable of external communications consultants
- Leading regular coalition communications meetings with CAC core groups, and providing feedback to state and local partners
- Cultivating and fostering relationships with key Capitol Hill and Administration communications staff
- Driving media coverage and building solid relationships with climate, clean energy, and environment press in DC and across the country
- Demonstrating significant ability to pitch and place media stories and craft newsworthy events and deliverables
- Provide leadership and strategic counsel as a member of the senior leadership team
- Drive external and internal communications, message development, digital communications, event planning, field support, and customized product development
- Lead the development of high-quality communications materials, including communications plans, media advisories, press releases, op-eds, reporting documents etc.
- Oversee the campaign’s specialty media program including managing consultants and building relationships with African American and Latino media
- Manage communications support staff, daily and long-term tasking, project management and personnel matters
- Identify and direct priority activities and manage requests for communications support from CAC departments, allies, partners and affiliates
- Serve as a spokesperson for CAC as needed
- Provide media training and support for Campaign Director and other surrogates
We recognize that there is a spectrum of professional experience that will set candidates up for success in this role and encourage candidates from a variety of professional experiences to express interest in this opportunity.
While no one candidate will have every experience outlined in the position description, ideal candidates will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
Strategic Coalition Messaging Development
The Senior Director will have the ability to effectively create and coordinate messaging among a diverse array of organizations within the coalition, including state field tables and partner groups. Comfortable with synthesizing various perspectives and objectives into a unified and compelling message that advances the coalition's advocacy goals will be of key importance. Persuasive in securing support and participation from partner organizations for campaign initiatives,
Innovative Media Campaign Development
A skilled Senior Director will have the capacity to adapt to evolving media landscapes and leverage emerging technologies and platforms effectively. The Senior Director will have demonstrated experience deploying innovative strategies, including digital and social media that leverage new technologies and reach to engage with new audiences.
Leadership in Multi-Faceted Communication
As a senior leader at CAC, the Senior Director will bring demonstrated management skills in supervising both internal staff and external communications consultants. As a genuine and collaborative leader, the Senior Director will lead the team effectively, including setting strategic direction, providing mentorship, and ensuring the delivery of high-quality communications work.
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies
- Experience landing strategic media placements and dealing with reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bloggers, broadcast producers, and thought leaders
- Powerful writing and editing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Experience working in a coalition-based, or highly collaborative environment with partner organizations
- Strong professional judgment about the news value of campaign activities
- On the record and off the record work with the media
- The ability to communicate priorities and decisions to colleagues in a clear, concise, and professional manner
- At least 10 years of professional experience in a campaign-style communications position
- Five years of experience leading high-performing teams with the ability to motivate others
Compensation & Benefits
The starting salary for this position begins at $160,000 and is commensurate with experience. CAC offers an excellent benefits package which includes 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, generous paid time off, and a 401k plan.
This is a full-time, exempt hybrid position based in Washington, DC. COVID vaccinations are required for onsite work.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Alicia Salerno and Tatyana James of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume by filling out our Talent Profile.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
CAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to economic and social justice and do not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit https://diversifiedsearchgroup.com/koya-partners/.