Galapagos Rockford Charter School invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of Instruction for the Upper Academy (Grades 5-8). Nominations and recommendations will also be accepted. Applicants will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Galapagos Rockford Charter School (GRCS) is a college-preparatory K-8 school focused on preparing its scholars to become responsible, productive, college-educated adults, capable of adapting and prospering in a changing global economy. Galapagos Rockford uses data-driven instruction to target the learning needs of each scholar to ensure that no scholar is marginalized, and each scholar is achieving academic growth at an accelerated rate. During an extended school day, Galapagos Rockford implements a rigorous curriculum in math, reading, language arts, science, social studies, wellness, and fine arts.
The School was founded in 2009 and was the first charter school in the city. Since that time, Galapagos scholars have performed at levels above the other charter schools in the city. The goal at Galapagos is to become the top performing school in the city.
GRCS is a non-selective school, meaning that children do not need to test into the school. In fact, the focus of Galapagos is to service children who may not have been best served in other schools. In some cases, this means that the child is behind, in other cases, this means that the child is not being challenged and requires more rigorous work.
The School is looking for employees who value growth, not perfection, but are always striving to be their absolute best. They are looking for employees who are committed to learning and growing professionally, as well as continually revising and improving curriculum, assessments, and instruction.
The Dean of Instruction’s primary responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as the primary school leader, setting the tone and vision (in conjunction with the CEO) for the school;
- Oversee the implementation of the Instructor Performance Management System
- Support instructors by assisting with short and long term planning, modeling lessons, and directing instructors toward appropriate resources;
- Review all instructional documents including: weekly lesson plans, unit plans and assessments, progress reports, and report cards and give feedback as necessary;
- Lead weekly Professional Learning Community Meetings;
- Oversee the implementation of special education services, including case management compliance;
- Plan and provide professional development under the direction of the Chief Academic Officer ;
- Participate in the hiring process as directed by the Chief Academic Officer; and
- Provide morale boosting and esprit de corps activities to show appreciation for staff.
The salary range for the Dean of Instruction is $90 – 120K. Salary is based on relevant experience, potential for growth, and overall match. Employees are eligible for medical and dental benefits, life insurance, flex spending plans, and paid vacation time. Certified staff members also receive matching contributions to the employee pension fund. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including intensive coaching and professional development, a laptop computer, e-mail, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
GRCS is now accepting applications for this opportunity. Requested application materials include a letter of interest, resume, and a professional reference list. References will not be called without explicit permission. Applications will be welcomed until a new Dean of Instruction is selected. Candidates should submit materials to: GalapagosDOI@storbecksearch.com.
More information about the school can be found at: https://www.galapagoscharter.org/.