About Legal Services NYC
Legal Services NYC (LSNYC) fights poverty and seeks racial, social and economic justice for low-income New Yorkers. As the largest civil legal services organization in the country, LSNYC provides legal services to more than 110,000 low-income New Yorkers annually to help meet basic needs for housing, income and economic security, family and immigration stability, education and healthcare. LSNYC also challenges systemic injustices that keep people in poverty. LSNYC partners with scores of community-based and member-run organizations, elected officials, law schools, public agencies, pro bono lawyers and the courts to maximize its impact and effectiveness.
LSNYC has a staff of nearly 650 people in 11 neighborhood-based offices and outreach sites across all five boroughs. Of the five borough-based programs, four are separate 501(c)(3) entities. LSNYC has a budget of more than $110 million from over 200 federal, state, city, foundation and donor sources. It is an organization that is highly regulated by the federal Legal Services Corporation and other funders.
To read more about LSNYC, please visit the LSNYC website and view the 2020 Annual Report.
Legal Services NYC is seeking a dynamic, collaborative and efficiency-driven Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, high-impact and well-respected organization. In conjunction with the Board of Directors and the Audit & Budget Committee of the Board, this highly motivated leader will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization. The CFO also will oversee financial compliance for government (federal, state and city) contracts and private grants. A member of the Executive Leadership Team, the CFO will play a critical role in developing and implementing the overall financial strategy for LSNYC and promoting the organization’s values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Keys Measurements for Success Include:
The Chief Financial Officer’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Financial and Operational Strategy & Management
- Support the vision of the Executive Director and help ensure ongoing alignment between financial, operational and programmatic objectives.
- Apprise the Board’s Audit & Budget Committee about the organization’s finances. Work with the Board to set an annual budget and select and engage outside consultants (e.g., auditors, investment advisors) as needed.
- Oversee budgeting, budget implementation, tracking and reconciliation to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, regulatory requirements and audit requirements. Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting. Optimize banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Provide reports on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the Board and senior leadership informed of LSNYC’s finances and the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
- Serve as Fiduciary for LSNYC’s 403(b) plan.
Team Management & Collaboration
- Mentor and develop a team of 21 staff, managing work allocation and work flow, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation and the development of an effective and dynamic team.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer, borough Project Directors, and other senior leaders and their teams, especially grants and contracts managers.
- Support, provide financial guidance to and collaborate with all LSNYC program offices, including borough-based leadership, Boards and employees with financial responsibilities.
- Support the development and implementation of LSNYC’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging efforts.
CPA and/or MBA preferred.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills and characteristics:
The CFO will have significant expertise leading financial management and operations in a complex nonprofit environment as well as a deep understanding of nonprofit audits and financial inspections. Strong candidates will bring expertise related to managing the finances of nonprofits that are heavily funded through government contracts and grants. They will have thorough knowledge of cost accounting, allocation methods and best practices to ensure proper contract costing. With a consistent and ongoing focus on process and tactical improvement, this leader will bring experience partnering with operations departments, including IT, to develop and manage financial management systems and tools. This leader will take a data-driven approach to decision making, while demonstrating a willingness to take calculated risks. Moreover, the CFO will be process-driven and results-oriented, able to translate LSNYC’s overarching vision and strategy into a clear financial plan with measurable goals.
Collaborative Communicator & Skilled People Leader
The CFO will have strong communication skills with a keen ability to convey, both verbally and in writing, complex and nuanced financial information to a wide range of constituents, including those who have varied levels of financial acumen within the organization. In addition to top-notch financial management expertise, this position requires excellent leadership and management abilities. The CFO will communicate transparently, work collaboratively and be able to engage in difficult conversations with sensitivity and thoughtfulness. The CFO will successfully engage and create buy-in with varied stakeholder groups to achieve change and results. Experience in unionized environments is a plus.
Nimble & Results-Oriented Operational Leader
This individual will be flexible and nimble with the ability to adapt to a complex, demanding, continually evolving environment. The CFO will bring experience effecting change in a complex organization and a proven record of converting strategy into effective execution and offering creative, practical ideas to achieve strategic direction. With five LSNYC borough locations, four of which are separate 501(c)(3) entities, communication and teamwork are critical—both with centrally-based financial staff as well as with those who have financial, grants and contracts management responsibilities in the local offices. The CFO will lead in a hands-on, fully engaged and roll-up-your-sleeves way. They will encourage a team-based approach to problem solving and will thrive in a collaborative, deadline-oriented workplace. The CFO will have strong analytical skills and experience translating a strategic vision into an operational model.
Passion for the Mission
The CFO will be energized by a high-growth, dynamic and evolving environment. They will demonstrate an unwavering commitment to social justice, fulfilling LSNYC’s mission of fighting discrimination and working to achieve equity for low-income New Yorkers. They will bring a proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. This leader will be a highly trusted individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The salary range for this role is $177,000 - $283,000 with a generous benefits package including health coverage, a 403(b) plan and vacation time.
Legal Services NYC is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages expressions of interest from people of color, individuals living with disabilities, people of all ages, women and LGBTQ+ leaders.
LSNYC permits all employees whose job functions allow it to work remotely up to fifty percent of each pay period.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan, Corina Benitz & Gina Wrolstad are leading this search. Express interest in the role by filling out our Talent Profile, or email the search team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.