Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) seeks an entrepreneurial, mission-driven, inspiring, and nationally recognized academic osteopathic leader to serve as its Founding Dean, School of Osteopathic Medicine (SOM).
Given the significant shortage of primary care physicians, especially in rural Pennsylvania, IUP has committed to building the first public school of osteopathic medicine in the State. Reporting to the President and Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Founding Dean will be charged with enthusiastically leading the strategic, operational, financial, and academic aspects for the successful launch of the new School. The Founding Dean will be instrumental in positioning IUP SOM to provide public higher education solutions that address health disparities in rural areas and deficiencies in the healthcare workforce.
Founded in 1875 and located in picturesque community of Indiana, Pennsylvania, IUP is a state-owned, public institution with over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in its five Academic Colleges of Health and Human Services, Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Arts and Humanities, Business, and Education and Communications. In addition to offering 100 undergraduate degrees, IUP is a Carnegie Doctoral/Research university, and its School of Graduate Studies and Research offers 73 graduate programs, including 14 doctoral programs.
The successful candidate will have:
- Earned a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) with credentials that warrant appointment at the academic rank of full professor with tenure.
- Significant and broad academic administrative experience in an osteopathic medical school commensurate with leading the strategic planning and implementation of a new program.
- Experience in articulating, syndicating, and executing a strategic vision in an academic medical setting.
- Demonstrated experience with the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) accreditation process.
- Commitment to, and success in, building and developing a faculty including department Chairs.
- Experience overseeing finances and the budgeting process.
- Understanding and commitment to the unique challenges of rural public health.
- Unwavering commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, with demonstrated track record of supporting and championing members of under-represented communities.
- Success in developing partnerships with medical entities to secure clinical placements for students.
- Experience and skillset in developing philanthropic relationships.
This is a full-time position that will be performed on site in Pennsylvania. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package will be offered.
Please submit a letter of interest and a current CV in confidence to:
Senior Search Associate
Grant Cooper | Diversified Search Group