2026 marks the 250th anniversary of our nation’s founding. To observe this momentous occasion, the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission will encourage Americans to remember our past, celebrate the present, and look forward to a promising future.
The U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission was established by Congress (P.L. 114-196) to inspire Americans to participate in the 250th anniversary of the founding of the United States. We are charged with orchestrating the largest and most inclusive anniversary observance in our nation’s history.
The Commission will work with public and private entities across the country to make America250 a once-in-a-lifetime experience for all Americans. Our partners will bring the essential ideas, expertise, relationships and resources necessary to engage all Americans, each American, and friends of America in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
For more information on America250, please visit https://www.america250.org/
America250 seeks an experienced and strategic Executive Director to lead the organization and create a meaningful celebration for the public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of the objectives of the Commission, as defined in Section 2(b) and Section 4(a) of Public Law 114-196;
- Be the primary point of contact with all Commissioners on a routine basis. Manage all communications to Commissioners on behalf of the Commission staff, including but not limited to monthly newsletters, government relations updates, Congressional quarterly reports, and reports from the Foundation;
- At the direction of the Chair, create and disseminate the agendas for all Commission meetings, Executive Committee of the Commission meetings, and Committee meetings in accordance with all bylaws, Committee Charters, and internal policies;
- As assigned by the chairperson, promote and represent the activities of the commission in the public arena;
- In cooperation with the Chairperson, promote and represent the activities of the Commission through the development and maintenance of a network of individuals in the Legislative and Executive branches of the U.S. government as well as other key stakeholders;
- Supervise the U.S. Semiquincentennial Commission staff and any detailed Federal government employees (as defined under Section 8(d) of the Public Law) and assume, or delegate as appropriate, responsibility for enforcing Commission policies and human resources activities;
- Lead role in securing Federal appropriations from the legislative and executive branches of government;
- Be the key contact with the U.S. State Department on soliciting and securing international country involvement in America250;
- Be the key contact with the state commissions, soliciting and securing their support and commitment;
- Lead and deliver the submission of the legislatively required quarterly and annual reports to Congress and the White House; and
- Provide oversight of Commission financial administration matters in compliance with Federal standards through GSA.
The Executive Director of America250 will possess the following attributes and competencies:
A Dynamic Spokesperson
- Serve as an articulate, persuasive, and effective spokesperson for America250 by effectively representing its mission, goals, and services to the Board, staff, and both current and prospective supporters and partners.
- The Executive Director will be politically astute with exceptional interpersonal skills and a keen understanding of government and policy-making processes.
- This leader will be a confident spokesperson who inherently enjoys the external side of the role.
- The Executive Director will be a strategic leader who, in partnership with the Board and staff, will continually update the strategy for America250.
- An inspiring, intellectually curious, and engaged leader with a strong ability to lead through influence, this leader will be successful at planning and implementation to ensure that day-to-day operations are aligned with strategic goals while also being nimble, adaptable, and innovative in response to emerging needs.
- The Executive Director will have experience bringing forth opportunities for impact by understanding both current and future needs.
- It is essential for the Executive Director to have prior experience working with Congress in a high-level Chief of Staff position.
- The Executive Director must work across the aisle in an astute and diplomatic manner.
- The Executive Director will work to build consensus among the Committee Members in order to achieve important priorities in a timely fashion.
- Work with the Foundation’s leadership to support fundraising strategies, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of key individuals, foundations, and corporate donors.
- Impact the fundraising strategy by developing meaningful relationships with donors and other stakeholders and through creatively and successfully identifying potential fundraising partners to support our mission.
Savvy Relationship Builder
- The Executive Director will be a culturally fluent leader, skilled at building effective relationships at all levels within a complex environment, including with America250’s many partners.
- The Executive Director will also be successful at engaging the media, government policymakers, and administrators, as well as corporate and leaders.
- An excellent listener and persuasive communicator, the Executive Director will have the ability to develop a powerful sense of shared purpose in others and motivate them to navigate the opportunities and challenges ahead.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary for the role is aligned with level five of the executive schedule under section 5316 of title 5, United States Code. As a federal employee, the Executive Director is eligible for all government benefits.
Diversified Search Group, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Peter J. Gillin, Managing Director of Diversified Search Group, and Kristina Dorne, Senior Search Associate, of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role please submit your materials above, or email Peter.Gillin@divsearch.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Diversified Search Group is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
America250 is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.