UC Davis was founded in 1908 to serve the state of California. The academic campus is uniquely located in Northern California in the city of Davis, and UC Davis Health (UCDH) is headquartered in Sacramento, the state capital. Together, they make up the largest campus within the University of California system.
As the region’s only academic health center, UC Davis Health is a hub of innovation that is focused on discovering and sharing knowledge while providing the highest quality of care. Our academic health system is home to a nationally ranked medical center, a physician group, School of Medicine, and School of Nursing.
The Office of Strategy and Growth is a newly formed office supporting UC Davis Health in formalizing and operationalizing strategic planning processes. At the beginning of 2021, Strategy & Growth launched the Business Development and Growth unit, which helps quantify new business opportunities for the organization. This group is chartered with growing the UCDH clinical footprint and diversifying revenue streams.
UC Davis Health is seeking a Director of Business Development. The Business Development Director is responsible for leading and managing strategic partnerships, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions projects in a highly complex matrixed environment. This function has a critical impact on the organizational success of UCDH.
He/she will lead a team of business development professionals and managers to achieve organizational strategic initiatives, source deals, produce market research reports, conduct capabilities assessments, provide financial modeling and manage inorganic growth opportunities to support and provide diversified income. This role will also work closely with the Transaction Execution unit to bring transactions to a successful close. This position will contribute to overall long-term strategy for business development, new programs and services, and advise executive leaders as to the implications of new businesses at UCDH.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in business, engineering, or related field.
- Several years of demonstrated management experience and demonstrated skills necessary to be responsible for driving growth through partnerships, JVs, and M&A activities.
- Five to seven years of experience in health care consulting, strategy and business development in a hospital setting (preferably at an Academic Medical Center or a large Integrated Delivery Network).
- Proven success in sourcing and executing transactions including having led interactions with target organizations.
- Ability to lead business planning, innovation development, and implementation.
- Proven ability to plan and direct cross-functional teams to achieve performance goals.
- Advanced ability to direct and motivate staff, project team members, senior executives, physicians, and leaders.
- Proven track record of developing overall work plans for transaction workstreams with timelines alongside clinicians and their administrative partners in hospital and ambulatory space.
- Ability to manage and oversee business development staff and influence cross-functional teams with diverse functional disciplines.
- Master’s degree in Health Care Administration, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- Experience in large academic healthcare setting with knowledge of or ability to learn UC Davis Health organization, structure, clinical, research, and administrative departments.
- Highly developed knowledge and experience in healthcare strategy, business development, and innovation activities.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. The salary range for this role is $225,000 – $250,000 with a generous benefits package.