Director, Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UT Health San Antonio) seeks a dynamic academic leader with an outstanding record of operational leadership, research and educational achievement, and faculty/trainee recruitment and mentoring as its new Director, Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics. Reporting directly to the Dean of the Long School of Medicine, this Director is responsible for the overall administrative, academic, research and curricular activities of the Center. The Director provides oversight and guidance to a group of four key faculty members and multiple staff, including physicians who are also ethics and humanities scholars, and global and public health professionals. Center faculty work collaboratively with colleagues across the health science center, many of whom are Center affiliates, to promote CMHE’s core mission. The Director works closely with a 35-member community advisory council, as well as with undergraduate medical education, other University leaders and center directors to advance the mission of the School and Health Science Center.
Founded in 2002, the Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics has a mission of teaching ethics and professionalism while nurturing empathy and humanitarian values. This mission is accomplished through four pillar programs in Ethics, Humanities, Global Health, and Community Service Learning. CMHE programs emphasize experiential learning opportunities including course work, service-learning, global health immersion education, and humanities projects such as the student-run literary and arts journal Connective Tissue. Additionally, through the CMHE, the faculty support learning in six Free Outreach Clinics for the Underserved, where students and residents work interprofessionally with outstanding volunteer faculty. Administratively housed in the School of Medicine, CMHE has a university-wide impact through continuing education and interprofessional learning in ethics and humanities, as well as a prominent community impact, representing the University’s mission of service to San Antonio and South Texas.
UT Health San Antonio is a comprehensive academic health university and research center in South Texas. One of six health institutions in The University of Texas System, UTHSA is the primary source of health professions, education and biomedical sciences research in the region and is a major center for patient care. In addition to the Long School of Medicine, UTHSA includes a School of Dentistry, a School of Nursing, a School of Health Professions and a Graduate School. A new School of Public Health serves both UTHSA and UTSA.
- Must possess a terminal degree (e.g. MD, DO, MBBS, PhD, ThD, or EdD), with the highest possible post-graduate training. If a physician, must be able to obtain an unrestricted Texas medical license, DEA and Texas DPS certificates.
- Qualified for faculty appointment in the Long School of Medicine and academic experience consistent with eligibility for Associate or Full Professor with potential for tenure.
- Competitive candidates will have demonstrated a strong commitment to scholarship, advocacy, and leadership in clinical ethics, bioethics, professionalism in health care, the medical humanities, community service learning, public health, global health, or other closely allied disciplines as evidenced by related publications and projects.
- The ideal candidate will have national recognition in the field as an educator, ethics or medical humanities scholar, and academic medical leader.
- Experience in operational and financial management and leadership in an academic health center environment required.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills needed to effectively operate in the complex environment of an academic health center.
This is a full-time position that will be performed on site in Texas. Salary commensurate with experience with a generous benefits package.
Please submit CV and cover letter in confidence to:
Grant Cooper | Diversified Search Group
firstname.lastname@example.org | 314-449-1584