The Guthrie Clinic seeks a Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for Guthrie Cortland Medical Center in Cortland, New York. Reporting to the President of Guthrie Medical Group, Fred J. Bloom, MD and working closely with the President of Guthrie Cortland Medical Center, Jennifer Yartym, the Chief Medical Officer at Cortland Medical Center will work with the Senior Leadership Team to help direct, coordinate and evaluate the clinical operations to ensure safe and high-quality patient care.
Guthrie is a not-for-profit, five-hospital, integrated health care system designed to offer patients a full spectrum of health services. Guthrie Cortland Medical Center, an independent, nonprofit, 162-bed acute care facility with an attached 80-bed residential care facility, joined the Guthrie healthcare system in January 2019. For over 125 years, the people of Cortland have turned to Cortland Medical Center first for the best in medical care. The staff includes 300 Guthrie and community-based providers representing 12 medical fields and 10 specialties so that experts are available to take care of patients no matter their medical needs.
The position of CMO is accountable, at the direction of the Hospital Board of Directors, for leading and directing improvement in hospital quality and patient safety metrics. This includes data-driven analysis of clinical care and monitoring of the medical staff’s clinical performance through medical staff committees, peer review, chart reviews and patient feedback. Specifically, this leader will oversee the Medical Staff Office and all aspects of the medical center’s quality, safety and clinical resource management. The Chief Medical Officer will work to build and sustain positive relationships with physicians and medical staff to work collaboratively across the organization to implement strategic objectives and share best practices to ensure high quality care for patients. This position also supports oversight of the GCMC Hospitalist Service.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Board Certified MD or DO, with an accredited residency completion
- Must be licensed and/or eligible for licensure in the State of New York and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- 5+ years of hospital medical staff leadership and/or other elected medical staff position required
- Experience interacting with CMS, NYS Department of Health, The Joint Commission, and other regulatory bodies desired
- Experience in formulation and implementation of clinical practice guidelines and performance improvement activities required
- A systems-oriented leader who can analyze complex scenarios and guide innovative approaches to optimize patient care
- Able to manage varied activities and simultaneous projects
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills